Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help please with noise from my truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help please with noise from my truck

I've been noticing recently when I drive that theres a loud noise coming from the front end, I've had a couple people say it's my hub and bearing, is this normal for it to start going out around 85k miles? Also how much do most places charge to get it fixed or is it easy enough to be fixed on my own?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nrpyles
I've been noticing recently when I drive that theres a loud noise coming from the front end, I've had a couple people say it's my hub and bearing, is this normal for it to start going out around 85k miles? Also how much do most places charge to get it fixed or is it easy enough to be fixed on my own?
Is it a loud grinding noise like ice in a blender? Happens on occasion when driving around in 2wd? This typically is your IWE vacuum solenoid and this is common. The factory solenoid is flawed and has been revised. Costs $60ish and is an easy install. It's located on the passenger side firewall and has two vacuum lines running into it.

What happens is the solenoid keeps vacuum applied to the IWE ends (actuators) so they do not engage keeping you in 2wd. When you engage 4wd the solenoid releases the vacuum applied and the actuators lock up to rotate the front wheels. When the solenoid goes out it releases only a small amount of vacuum but not all and it's not enough for the actuators to engage and lock in so it grinds which if it does it too much ends up damaging the teeth on the actuators and those cost about $100+ each to purchase.

IWE solenoid part # 6L3Z-9E441-A
old flawed one has no cover on top of it, if yours doesn't have it you need to replace it!
new one has a rain cap/lid covering it keeping water away from it (water malfunctions the old one)

If this isn't it then it could be a leak in a vacuum line and you'd have to test it.

Last edited by PNW EFFONEFIFTY; 07-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sheil (07-16-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 02:08 PM

I only have a 2wd truck, it just makes a loud noise as I start to accelerate
Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Jack the front end of your truck up and shake the tire from top to bottom. If there is and movement then your bearings have worn out. In a two wheel drive they are located in the rotor. If your rotors are good then you just need to replace the bearings, racers, and seals. Its not that hard to do. Just have a good punch to pop out the racers. You can rent a racer punch and installer at autozone if you want to dyi.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by nrpyles
I only have a 2wd truck, it just makes a loud noise as I start to accelerate
Need more info,

makes a loud noise as you start to accelerate?

Does it stop when you're at cruising speed? If your bearings are really loose or bad you'd also feel a jolt/thunk when turning from the rotors shifting side to side a bit. Your bearings could just need to be greased as well, especially if you go mudding or submerge your vehicle in deep puddles of water. Either way I'd pull the rotor off and inspect. Check your calipers as well to make sure they're not sticking.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PNW EFFONEFIFTY
Is it a loud grinding noise like ice in a blender? Happens on occasion when driving around in 2wd? This typically is your IWE vacuum solenoid and this is common. The factory solenoid is flawed and has been revised. Costs $60ish and is an easy install. It's located on the passenger side firewall and has two vacuum lines running into it.

What happens is the solenoid keeps vacuum applied to the IWE ends (actuators) so they do not engage keeping you in 2wd. When you engage 4wd the solenoid releases the vacuum applied and the actuators lock up to rotate the front wheels. When the solenoid goes out it releases only a small amount of vacuum but not all and it's not enough for the actuators to engage and lock in so it grinds which if it does it too much ends up damaging the teeth on the actuators and those cost about $100+ each to purchase.

IWE solenoid part # 6L3Z-9E441-A
old flawed one has no cover on top of it, if yours doesn't have it you need to replace it!
new one has a rain cap/lid covering it keeping water away from it (water malfunctions the old one)

If this isn't it then it could be a leak in a vacuum line and you'd have to test it.
I just started having a similar noise. It almost sounds like I'm dragging something and when I pull over to check it out, it stops making the noise before I come to a stop. It also clunks twice before the noise actually stops. I'm going to take a look at the IWE solenoid and report back to you. I'm also glad I did a search before posting the exact same question here.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by alsatropine
Jack the front end of your truck up and shake the tire from top to bottom. If there is and movement then your bearings have worn out. In a two wheel drive they are located in the rotor. If your rotors are good then you just need to replace the bearings, racers, and seals. Its not that hard to do. Just have a good punch to pop out the racers. You can rent a racer punch and installer at autozone if you want to dyi.
I jacked it up and the driver side wheel does have movement, the rotor looks fine so I'm just go to replace the bearing and seal, thank you for the help
Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Good deal, glad you were able to find the problem. After you get it fixed, holler back and let us know how she does.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, PNW EFFONEFIFTY. I found the Motorcraft IWE solenoid replacement for $29 and I think it's fixed. Time will tell.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by sheil
Thanks for the info, PNW EFFONEFIFTY. I found the Motorcraft IWE solenoid replacement for $29 and I think it's fixed. Time will tell.
Welcome. I guess I over payed for my part from Ford. I think I paid about $50 but I haven't had the grinding noise since so it's worth every penny and more to me. Make sure you find some dirt and engage your 4wd and test that it engages and disengages just fine. If you have any funny noises or a little grinding during engaging then it's likely that the faulty solenoid that caused the grinding damaged your IWE actuator teeth and need to be replaced which isn't a difficult task if you have basic knowledge.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
sheil (07-20-2013)

Quick Reply: Help please with noise from my truck