Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HELP! No-start with odd symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! No-start with odd symptoms

Yesterday i shut my truck off for about 3 minutes to run inside my office and grab something, and when i come back to the truck it's gone ape.

It's a 2004 F-150 SXT Automatic with 63k Miles. 4.6L Bare-bones... no CC, Power-Nothing.

I try to start the truck and the only light that comes on is the yellow airbag light, albeit very dim. Sometimes the mileage blinks. There is a ticking noise from the fusebox, and i can feel the relay 3 and 5 clicking away (the top and bottom relays closest to the passenger door). I can see the tach kind of jump/vibrating a little. The red light on the dash blinks.

This happens when the doors are open or when i try to turn the key.

This all happened with no warning. There is no check engine light, in fact, there are no lights on the dash at all when the key is in or turned to run.

The shift lever is stuck in park. I can't shift to any other gear, even pressing the brake pedal.

I tried unhooking the battery to try to reset something. No luck.

Please Help!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you check to see if the battery was charged?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM
07 fx4

either ur battery took a dump. or u have one messed up wiring problem... that sucks!!!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Battery is fine... That was my first guess, then i noticed all the other craziness happening with the tach and the relays clicking.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check the ground connections to the frame. Sounds like you may have a bad/corroded ground.

I had the negative cable off of my battery this past weekend working on some things, I had to jump in the front seat for a second to read some documents, when I did, I noticed the same things happening on my instrument cluster. When I ducked back under the hood, I noticed that the ground cable had popped loose from where I had it propped and had made a slight contact with the negative terminal.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by sjtjb239
Check the ground connections to the frame. Sounds like you may have a bad/corroded ground.

I had the negative cable off of my battery this past weekend working on some things, I had to jump in the front seat for a second to read some documents, when I did, I noticed the same things happening on my instrument cluster. When I ducked back under the hood, I noticed that the ground cable had popped loose from where I had it propped and had made a slight contact with the negative terminal.
TY. I will check that out again when i get back home. I'm out of town for work this week.

I did check all my connections when i tried unhooking the battery to reset the computer. I'll check again though.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

definatly your battery.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:44 PM

It was doing this even while i had jumper cables attached (correctly, positive to positive, negative to frame) from a strong jumper automobile. Would a toasted battery (no warning of this at all... never a history of weakness) do something like that? ... make relays tick and the tach jiggle when you open the door?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very well could be a bad ground ground wire or positive battery cable.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

yup, battery is shorted out or sumthing. mine did this in my ranger last year, ironically when i pulled in the chevy dealership to look at a truck lol. pull the battery and take it to advanced and have them check it.

Quick Reply: HELP! No-start with odd symptoms