Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help my truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help my truck won't start

ok so i have a 2004 f150 xlt 4x4 with a 5.4
tonight i went out to a friends house but on the way i stopped at a gas station for a few minutes and after when i went to leave it wouldn't start but it would just crank over and nothing would happen (its happened before and after trying for a bit it usually starts)... so after about 10 minutes of trying on and off and getting the same results i thought it may be something electronic so i disconnected the battery and left it disconnected for about 5 minutes then hooked it back up and afterwards it wouldn't crank over or anything... i have lights and power just she wont turn over at all... i'm suspecting the factory security system but have no idea how to bypass it and i don't really want to leave it at the gas station... any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 01:41 AM

so it decided to cooperate again... i can't explain why it just does... i left it for an hour and a half or so then went back out and tried but still nothing... so i hit the lock button on my remote while sitting inside the truck and tried starting it and it cranked a bit but was too flat to start up so i boosted it and it's running great again... i have no idea what caused it or why it started to work again... i cleaned my battery terminals before boosting just to make sure i'd have a good connection once it was running... any ideas as to what would've caused this? its hard to troubleshoot but i want to avoid it happening again so i'd like to resolve whatever it is... any suggestions would be a great help thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 AM
first love f150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some help i hope

so i just bought a 1998 f150 xlt from my boss he said that the guy who was driving it said the truck engine seased i cleaned the battery terminals to and it works great i know maybe your truck is 5yrs old but i would go and take it to get the starter check'd
Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by wyattjo
so it decided to cooperate again... i can't explain why it just does... i left it for an hour and a half or so then went back out and tried but still nothing... so i hit the lock button on my remote while sitting inside the truck and tried starting it and it cranked a bit but was too flat to start up so i boosted it and it's running great again... i have no idea what caused it or why it started to work again... i cleaned my battery terminals before boosting just to make sure i'd have a good connection once it was running... any ideas as to what would've caused this? its hard to troubleshoot but i want to avoid it happening again so i'd like to resolve whatever it is... any suggestions would be a great help thanks
Do you have another ignition key? Try it. If you don't, your asking for trouble (and expense).

Have a dealer check the transponder in your key(s); as well as the transiever ("ring" around the ignition cylinder). The ignition key transmits a signal to the transiever (part of "PATS" - Passive anti-theft system) which then sends an "OK" to the PCM (power control module) to allow spark; thus allowing the engine to start.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You sure its not just a bad battery or alternator?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 PM

the alternator was replaced by the guy who had it before me... and the battery may be bad but it still turns it over easily although i'm going to have it checked... and so if the transponder system is acting up it'll turn over but not fire? or will it just not crank?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 PM
blue blood

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its a pats problem the led on the top dash will rapidly flash.turn key on led stays on 10 sec then turns off .try hitting the starter next time
Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Speed Mach Go Go

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like a bad starter. You can remove it and take it to an auto parts store and they can bench test it.

Quick Reply: Help my truck won't start