Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help with modification ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with modification ideas!!!

Hey, just got a 2007 Black F150 regular cab XL with a 4.2 V6 5 speed. It is all stock right now, and is not nearly as 'perty' as I would like, but I got a great deal on it. I'm really thinking about getting a 2.5" leveling kit (costs about 135), but that is about all that I can muster up because I'm so new to this. What other mods can I put on it (maybe you know a cheap 33" tire???) to increase the looks? I'm not really going for the street look, but more of an off road type. Now, I don't have that much to spend, so if all the things added to around 400 dollars (more or less) that would be appreciated. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

$400 isn't much of a budget to work with. The 2.5" leveling kit is a great start. My recommendation is to check your local craigslist because there are always people on there selling cheap tires, at least in my local area anyways. One thing you could add immediately that fits within your budget is a Cold Air Intake. I have the Air Force 1 (3" tube) and have had it now for going on 2 years and am totally happy with it. I installed it myself in my driveway in about 30 minutes when I received it. Made instant improvements in the area of throttle response and feeling in the truck, not to mention gave me a few extra ponies.

Can also get the windows tinted.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Might want to check autosprings on ebay for the leveling kit. Got mine shipped to my door for $80.00. And its solid steel not the plastic ones.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 AM
Car Audio FANATIC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

don't forget to change that shifter out for a keg shifter ; )

also if you're lookin for painted headlights... do it yourself with the oven method.

can also tint your own taillights if you feel like it

and get your windows tinted haha i had to do it asap with mine... can't stand taht "factory tint"
Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd only go with a leveling kit if you plan on using that extra height to some advantage such as fording otherwise, you are looking at decreased MPG. In any case, you should only do it at the same time as moving to larger tires to avoid a funny little wheel look.

For looks, I would consider new black or chrome wheels depending on the theme of your truck. You can sell the oem wheels to get a bit of money back. I would also consider a nice hard tonneau cover for looks as well as utility of protecting stuff in the bed from theft and weather - $400 is only half way there but you could bank it and save up.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You should team up with FX4HAWAII; he asked the same question! Perhaps the two of you can come up with a unique modification that hasn't been thought of or done yet, making your trucks stand out from the others.

Quick Reply: Help with modification ideas!!!