Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help Me Track this issue down.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Track this issue down.

Hello Folks,

I have a 2005 F150 5.4L Lariat 4X4. Here is my issue...
I had a guy change out my spark plugs and change my oil for me.

Now, after the truck warms up it will pretty much stutter and stall when I come to a stop light or slow down when taking a corner.

I read in the forum that it could be the VCT Solenoids, so I changed them out. (No Fix)

I am active duty military, and I am trying to avoid taking this thing into a shop for a diagnostic. I am not getting a check engine light so I d o not believe that it is throwing any codes. I did manage to get a video of the motor running when it started running like crap though. While cold, it seems to run just fine though and the same is when it is in park.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

First, let me thank you for your service. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak, but, that would not cause the problem you are describing. I would double check the torque on the plugs and that the plug wires are fully seated. Also check the to ensure the wiring to the coil packs are connected properly (plugs seated)

Hope this helps
Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 AM
SSDD

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I've heard of FPDM's giving symptoms similar to this. May not be the same for you.
I agree with Ghost though, check you ignition components out.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do today, and post results tonight! Thanks Guys!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I would agree with the above. If the problem started after the plugs were changed then I'd start in that area. Did he use Motorcraft plugs? If not then it very well could be the plugs themselves. These trucks really don't like other brands of plugs. Next check that he used dielectric grease on the boots to the plugs. Poor connection could be the culprit. Next check the wiring for nicks or pinches. Finally it may be time for new coils, again fully recommended to use Motorcraft coils. Also if you like to avoid the shop and you have an android device I would invest $25 for a Bluetooth OBD2 reader like this one. https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...bluetooth+obd2 I use this exact one with no problems. Next get the Torque Pro app for android. It will help you diagnose MANY problems by yourself. In this case it could tell you if a specific cylinder has a miss or if your fuel/air ratio is not right. Best $25 I ever spent on my truck.

Most importantly Thank you for your service and dedication to our country!

Last edited by BadFish523; 06-27-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Don't rule out a bad plug or two. There's a couple things that could be wrong such as them being broke in the box or getting cracked during install.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (06-28-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I agree with checking the torque on the plugs, think they should be 25 ft lbs, loose plug will cause a tick like and exhaust leak it will also cause a fuel smell in the cabin of the truck. I would also recommend doing the battery relearn process right away, its on the Helpful Link stickies on the first page of this year group. Bring the vehicle up to operating temps and then do the relearn process, it should help with the stalling when stopping and going around corners, I have the same issues when I disconnect the battery to do various things to my truck. Relearn process fixes it every time.

Trending Topics

Old 06-27-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I had something similar happen to my 04, it was the brand of plugs, or so I was told, they all looked good but changing to motorcraft fixed it.
Not sure about the brand thing but something along the way of changing them fixed the problem.
Watch for your check engine flashing, it does this with misfires.
I had a gryphon to read codes and reset is how I pulled em.
All good advise above.
Good luck.
Thanks for your service.

Quick Reply: Help Me Track this issue down.