Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help me build my new truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me build my new truck

I'm getting ready to order an 2008 FX4 over here in Okinawa from a Military Sales vender. Not too many Ford dealerships over here, and the salesmen/brochures are only so helpful. So, is what I am looking at:
FX4 Super Crew with 6.5' bed.
Luxury Package.
Here are some options I am trying to decide on:
1. 30 vs 35.7 gallon gas tank. I'm thinking of going for the 35.7 gallon tank for extended range (I hate filling up). Is there a downside to the larger tank?
2. Cargo Management System: Sounds good on paper. I like the integrated tool boxes...easy to remove when necessary. Better than putting a full size tool box in. Alos like the tie down capability. Question: can you get a drop in bed liner in with this system installed? I like drop ins better than spray in.
3. FFV engine: I'm thinking of ordering the truck with the option to run the E85. I'm not sold on E85, and where i am moving (NM), E85 still is not plentiful. Is there a downside to getting the E85 engine?
4. 20" tires with 3.73 gears: I won't tow much with the truck, but i will haul plenty in the bed. I'm worried about adversley effecting my haul capacity with this set up. Can't find anything in the Ford literature on it. What do you all think?
5. How's the leather on the FX4 Sport Seats? Do they come with perferation or are they solid? Are the rear seats really vinyl?
That's about it. Any other suggestions you all might have would be most appreciated.
Great site, and thanks again for the help!
-Ken
Old 12-07-2007, 08:57 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the big tank...the only downside is a more expensive fillup.
You are better off with a spray in liner, I hate my drop in. If you get a drop in, just drill out the liner in the bolt in spots.
There is no downside to the FFV motor.
a 3.73 gear will improve towing capacity.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the bigger tank and love it except when fill up time comes. I also have a drop in liner and hate it. Had to drill holes in it to let water out and it expands when its hot out causing it to buckle up near the tailgate.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the inputs. Keep 'em coming!
Ken
Old 12-08-2007, 03:15 AM

Here's a few more questions:
I'm still kind of on the fence about SuperCab vs SuperCrew. Most times, it will be me, myself and I in the truck. But I do have a wife and three boys who I'd like to take in the truck as well (my boys are 6, 4, and 1...so young and small, but still in car seats). So I am trying to justify one body style over the other. I guess it is about $2K to go from SCAB to SCREW. You only gain 6 inches of legroom, and this suprised me, you lose 2 inches of hip room (that is what the brochure says). Overall truck length with the 6.5' bed only increases by 6 inches as well.
From looking in the brochure, the seats in the SCREW and the SCAB look identical. Are they? Is leg room the only major difference? Are the SCREW seats more comfortable? Why do you suppose you lose hip room going from SCAB to SCREW?
I sure would love to compare 'em, in the flesh, but that just ain't going to happen over here. They do have a demo FX4 SCAB here on island, so I can use that for some reference purposes.
Thanks in advance.
Ken
Old 12-08-2007, 08:55 AM

The seats are the same. The difference is the extra 6 inches and the "full size" doors on the SCREW.
Having never been a father, I would think the SCAB would be easier to put little ones in the back. The SCAB doors open "suicide" style making car seat belts easier to get to. But, that's an uninformed opinion.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:03 PM

I have a 4 month old baby and it is a pain in the @$$ putting a rear facing carseat in my 97 scab. I have to put the passenger seat all the way foward, then there is no room for someone the front seat. Hopefuly I will be upgrading to an 06 screw next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 12-08-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ncrager
I have a 4 month old baby and it is a pain in the @$$ putting a rear facing carseat in my 97 scab. I have to put the passenger seat all the way foward, then there is no room for someone the front seat. Hopefuly I will be upgrading to an 06 screw next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

My youngest boy will be out of his rear facing car seat by the time I get this truck, but they will all be in either boosters or normal front facing ones. I am actually looking at a set of "slim" car seats made by a company called Sunshine Kids (Radian 65). Thye are kind of pricey, but thye are top rated for protection and a bit smaller than most of the seats out there (width-wise).
Old 12-08-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gunslinger
The seats are the same. The difference is the extra 6 inches and the "full size" doors on the SCREW.
Having never been a father, I would think the SCAB would be easier to put little ones in the back. The SCAB doors open "suicide" style making car seat belts easier to get to. But, that's an uninformed opinion.

Thanks for the info. So I assume the seats fold and store the same way in both trucks as well?
Thanks,
Ken
Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You never have too much room. I have more back seat room than an Expedition. You just have to get used to the four door look. Also remember you lose alot of storage space under the seat if you get the upgraded stereo system that has the subwoofer. The extra floor space back there can come in handy.

Quick Reply: Help me build my new truck