Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HELP! K&N AIC & Custom Tunes??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:08 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation HELP! K&N AIC & Custom Tunes??

I was wondering that after the installation of the K&N Series 63 AIC would I need to have custom tunes in order to not run lean? I have the 07 150 screw and I seem to be getting some conflicting opinions as to whether a K&N model is fine for the 07 w/out having custom tunes. Some seem to say it is fine while I have seen older posts (circa 2005) that say for 2004+ models that you need to either be running an Airaid product or have custom tunes. Can someone PLEASE fill me in on the situation. I don't want to be hurting my baby!!

This is a quote from Mike Troyer from F150onlineForums back in March of 2005:

"This is a *very* important question, as this has changed on the 3-valve modular motors, which all have a new MAS setup. Where you can install virtually any decent intake kit on virtually any FoMoCo vehicle with a 2-valve or 4-valve modular motor, you cannot do that on the 3-valve motors (4.6, 5.4 or 6.8 V10)without throwing them badly lean with the vast majority of aftermarket intake kits - and I mean potentially piston-melting lean.

As it stands right now for the 2004 & up 5.4 3V F-150, only the Airaid intake kit is safe to use on either the stock factory tuning or with our custom tuning *and* actually gains significant power anywhere. The Airaid kit adds a whopping 20 more HP at the rear wheels at just 3000 rpm, so that is what most 5.4 3V owners are using on these new F-150's. Bottom line - yes, you can use the newer Airaid intake kits for the 5.4 3V F-150 and not require tuning changes when using either the stock factory tuning or our custom tuning.

And yes, you can also do a drop-in K&N air filter element in the stock factory air filter drawer too, and not need tuning changes when using our custom tuning.

However, where a drop-in K&N air filter element on a 1997-2003 5.4 F-150 will net you about a 4-5 HP gain, on these 5.4 3V's the drop-in filter will get you about 2-4 HP - and even that is generally only in the 2000-3500 rpm range. But you *can* do that safely, to answer your question. "

Am I screwed?? Do I need to take this K&N out ASAP, or has new information changed/surfaced since this time??

Quick Reply: HELP! K&N AIC & Custom Tunes??