Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

help, HID high beams dont work

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default help, HID high beams dont work

hey i recently got 3 hid kits for my lights. my h13 bi-xenon kit from xenonlink seems to have a problem with the high beams. when my headlight lever is in the low beam position the high beam indicator is on but when i push the lever to the high beam position my headlights cut off completely! i'm confused as to what i may have done wrong. any help is appreciated.

and another question: my hella's that i converted to hid do not turn on at all. could this be because i am running them through hella's relay and it may not be supplying enough power for the ballasts?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

I can not answer your questions but I simply can inform you that if you search, numerous people have had this high beam problem before.

As for your AUX lights, I have no idea either. That is gonna probably be something that you will need to just start playing with or calling HELLA. Reason I say that is because since it is not a factory unit, the odds of someone else having the same problem with the same lights is gonna be low.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lenn
I can not answer your questions but I simply can inform you that if you search, numerous people have had this high beam problem before.
i have searched on this forum and others but none of the results had my particular problem. most of the results just said to do the bambi mod which i have done but it did not solve my no high beams problem.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

1st...how did you do your install? It is a xenonlink kit so I assume you are using the relay. Where are your grounds? These are the culprits the majority of the time.

2nd..The Hella's is a whole other issue. I would assume that your are correct about the relay issue and as well as probably a re-grounding as well. The relays for are probably not equipped for the high power level need for start up since the HID's require more initially and less to maintaian function than the Hella's. I know that's beating a dead horse with the grounding issue, but I cannot stress the amount of issues that get resolved simply by either re-sanding the ground point or re-locating it to a more solid location.

Also, how are these wired in. Can you give us a few wiring pics and diagrams maybe.

Xenonlink will be able to help you with the High beam issue should it not resolve with your efforts and possibly the Hella issue, but I doubt it.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wires are definitely backwards, switch them around.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm im not sure how the wiring could be backwards seeing its a plug and play kit which means the connections only connect to certain connectors atleast thats how my kit was im with sin i would check your ground connections make sure you have good metal to metal contact if that dont work you might have a bad relay harness i would suggest getting ahold of the manufacture of the kit and ask them what you should do im not sure the ballasts would have anything to do with the lights cutting out but it may be worth ashot to disconnect one at a time and try the lights to see if the problem is a bad ballast just a suggestion!!
good luck man
Old 06-05-2009, 06:18 PM

thanks guys. yep i called up xenonlink and all i had to do was reverse the diode and take out the jump wires and now they work perfect. still haven't figured out the hellas but im fairly sure it is the relay so ill just order another one for this kit.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
thanks guys. yep i called up xenonlink and all i had to do was reverse the diode and take out the jump wires and now they work perfect. still haven't figured out the hellas but im fairly sure it is the relay so ill just order another one for this kit.
if it is a bad relay you should be able to get one for nothing i wouldnt buy it before you check with them it should be covered if they sent you a bad harness!! the company i bought my kit from sent me a bad ballast and my radio was all staticy so when they sent me the new ballast they sent me the 40.00 inline filters for free so that was awesome lol now my radio comes in crystal clear
Old 06-05-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 06fordf150
if it is a bad relay you should be able to get one for nothing i wouldnt buy it before you check with them it should be covered if they sent you a bad harness!! the company i bought my kit from sent me a bad ballast and my radio was all staticy so when they sent me the new ballast they sent me the 40.00 inline filters for free so that was awesome lol now my radio comes in crystal clear
no no i wasn't using a relay from xenon link. i figured since the hella lights came with a relay i could just use that instead of having two relays (one for the hella's and one for the ballasts). but i just got it fixed. one of the power wires to the hella relay blew a fuse so i just replaced that 15A fuse with a 20A fuse. i figured the relay could take a little more juice through it because it's just the start up of the lights that draws a lot of power. ill post up another thread of before and after pics.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 PM

good to hear you got it all fixed man!!

Quick Reply: help, HID high beams dont work