Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help Focus My Expectations- 2004 5.4 3V

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Focus My Expectations- 2004 5.4 3V

My 04 XLT 5.4 has 102k on the odometer now. I have kept up with maintenance, since I bought it with 65k on it. It's 2WD and I don't tow anything with it.

Also: My truck has open differential in the rear end. What is a good choice for limited-slip that I can put in to keep from having tire-spin?

I would like to quiet the engine down, and do the "Final Fix 5.4 Cam Phaser" repairs.

-timing set, cam phasers, all new lash adjusters and followers, oil pump, water pump, radiator flush, possibly drop the oil pan and clean, depending what the timing set looks like on disassembly.

During the above list of work, I would like to bolt on the following:

- DynaTech long-tube headers, DynaTech High-Flow Cat Y-pipe, Borla Touring-series SI/DO 2.5" exhaust, CAI & SCT tune from 5-Star Tuning.

I don't want to go forced induction. I don't want to rebuild the entire engine, tear into the rotating assembly, or blow up my transmission.

My goal is to have a nice, deep-sounding exhaust, and pick up some HP along the way. I think approx 50HP gain would be reasonable and within expectations.

My question is: Given the above, is there anything that would increase performance, and "While you're in there..." (which is why I was going to go ahead and drop the oil pan, replace the oil pump and water pump, since it was RIGHT there and only a $100 or less parts-swap)

I plan on removing the cams to get to the lash adjusters and followers. I have read that new cams wouldn't do much for me, without forced induction, and would add a little power to the top-end?

Sorry for this long-winded post. just trying to get a plan formulated ahead of time. Would like to tackle this Summer 2017.

Last edited by MMF150XLT; 09-01-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Focus My Expectations- 2004 5.4 3V