Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HELP!!! Electrical Issues....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Electrical Issues....

So...last night I installed a blower motor resistor and my AC worked like a charm. This morning I go to start up my truck..click, click..dead battery. Jump it..drive it for a short drive and leave it parked for a maybe two hours and it starts up. I drive it most of the day stopping at several places and having no issues. Later in the afternoon I was spraying the AC ducts trying to clean them out...I have to run in the house and literally two minutes later I attempt to restart the truck and click click, dead battery. The gauges jump around and there is a clicking noise....Jump start it and I continue to clean the ducts...truck is running and all of a sudden the AC stops working. I shut off the truck and try to restart it and click, click dead battery again. I leave it for a bit..jump start again no gauges, no radio, lights are dim and AC won't work and headlights won't shut off and they are dim. I put the old resistor back in jump it again and everything is back to normal..remove the cables and lights go dim and no gauges no nothing.

Any ideas guys? Could it be the alternator?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like alternator to me. If you have all those symptoms and they suddenly disappear when you hook cables up to another truck or a jumper pack then your alternator is no longer supplying the needed current to you electrical system.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by judas009
sounds like alternator to me. If you have all those symptoms and they suddenly disappear when you hook cables up to another truck or a jumper pack then your alternator is no longer supplying the needed current to you electrical system.
I'm with judas! Sounds like the alt isn't keeping up. Or you have some bad juju in your driveway the first option is more logical though!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Parts stores will test alt and battery for free. Have them tested and go from there.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by John Read
Parts stores will test alt and battery for free. Have them tested and go from there.
if you buy a new one from them... have them test the new one too. I got 3 bad starters in a row and on another occasion 1 alternator that wasn't anywhere close to what i need ("but the computer says.." "I get that your computer says that, but the mounting is different and that's a different plug") and then a bad one... all from autozone.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:39 PM

Got a new alternator and installed it in less than 2 hours...not bad for my first time...everything seems to be back to normal..minus my AC just stopped blowing cold air
Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by boog's04
Got a new alternator and installed it in less than 2 hours...not bad for my first time...everything seems to be back to normal..minus my AC just stopped blowing cold air
did you disconnect your battery when your replaced the alt? Mine blew hot for 30 minutes during the whole relearn thing after I changed my plugs. Good luck. It's gonna get hot soon.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:46 AM

any luck?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
any luck?
Yes, I pulled the negative cable prior to doing any work. That morning I drove it and the AC worked fine, sat idle for a minute at a red light starting blowing hot...it continued to blow hot once I drove down the road. Last night I drove it and it was working fine I'm wondering if its the actuator door thing because I get a loud noise behind the dash...hmmmm
Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Yes, I pulled the negative cable prior to doing any work. That morning I drove it and the AC worked fine, sat idle for a minute at a red light starting blowing hot...it continued to blow hot once I drove down the road. Last night I drove it and it was working fine I'm wondering if its the actuator door thing because I get a loud noise behind the dash...hmmmm
well I don't know about the actuator thing but mine did the same thing after the battery disconnect. The computer had to relearn everything.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Electrical Issues....