Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help Choosing which F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Choosing which F150

Hey Guys - Picking up our first F150 on Saturday. Torn between two, looking for advice, opinions and I will even take some verbal abuse lol.

Here are the trucks. Help me decide guys! Play it safe and go stock? Or save myself mod money and buy one already done up. Is 130K to many miles for that price? Should I be worried about any costly repairs coming up soon?

2004 F150 Lariat CCSB 4x4 with 135K. Asking for $11,500. Could probably get it for $10,000. Truck is 100% bone stock. Truck is creme color. Center shifter, interior is clean, small rip in drivers seat.

2004 F150 FX4 CCSB 4x4 with 130K. Asking for $11,700. Would offer $10,000 on this one as well. This truck has mods however. Camburg 2.5 Coilover's with Camburg uniball upper arms on the front. Long Travel Fox Shox caged in the bed on the rear. Flowmaster Exhaust. K&N Intake. Raptor wheels and tires. Raptor running boards. Light bar up front. Black leather looks perfect. The guy claims the motor was replaced before he bought it, but has no details. Tinted head lights and tail lights. Tinted windows. Tonneau cover. Truck is black. Center shifter, seats are all perfect.

Thanks for your help guys. Loosing sleep over this. Both trucks are in Vegas and the wife and I are going to Monster Cup this weekend and plan to take one home.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM

Here's some pics -

Old 10-18-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Find out about if the plugs have ever been changed. And you're some lucky to be going to the monster cup!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Garden Gnome

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

One thing to consider is if someone put that much work into the FX4, did they also play hard with it? Could be looking at problems down the road. With the Lariat, I would bet it wasnt run very hard. But the only way to know is to ask and look them both over with a fine tooth comb.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by F150 High Country
Hey Guys - Picking up our first F150 on Saturday. Torn between two, looking for advice, opinions and I will even take some verbal abuse lol.

Here are the trucks. Help me decide guys! Play it safe and go stock? Or save myself mod money and buy one already done up. Is 130K to many miles for that price? Should I be worried about any costly repairs coming up soon?

2004 F150 Lariat CCSB 4x4 with 135K. Asking for $11,500. Could probably get it for $10,000. Truck is 100% bone stock. Truck is creme color. Center shifter, interior is clean, small rip in drivers seat.

2004 F150 FX4 CCSB 4x4 with 130K. Asking for $11,700. Would offer $10,000 on this one as well. This truck has mods however. Camburg 2.5 Coilover's with Camburg uniball upper arms on the front. Long Travel Fox Shox caged in the bed on the rear. Flowmaster Exhaust. K&N Intake. Raptor wheels and tires. Raptor running boards. Light bar up front. Black leather looks perfect. The guy claims the motor was replaced before he bought it, but has no details. Tinted head lights and tail lights. Tinted windows. Tonneau cover. Truck is black. Center shifter, seats are all perfect.

Thanks for your help guys. Loosing sleep over this. Both trucks are in Vegas and the wife and I are going to Monster Cup this weekend and plan to take one home.
The fx4 all the way your gettin all that the lariat has and alot more.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by speeddemon86
Find out about if the plugs have ever been changed. And you're some lucky to be going to the monster cup!
Good call on the plugs! Didn't ask that yet. We're pretty excited about Monster Cup too, staying at Sunset Station so it should be a good weekend

Originally Posted by wheelz2902
One thing to consider is if someone put that much work into the FX4, did they also play hard with it? Could be looking at problems down the road. With the Lariat, I would bet it wasnt run very hard. But the only way to know is to ask and look them both over with a fine tooth comb.
That was my thought and only reserve with the FX4 as well. The guy "claims" that he never went off roading and took very good care of the truck. He keeps telling me that the test drive will tell the tale, which is true, it will. Anything specific you would check for when I test drive?

Originally Posted by brandonjr36
The fx4 all the way your gettin all that the lariat has and alot more.
For sure! The suspension on the FX4 is at least $4500 in parts alone. I just don't want to buy a truck that someone mobbed through the desert every weekend, ya know?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

The stock truck, for many reasons, all related to the mods.

With those mods, and a replaced motor, it's seen a hard life. I sincerely doubt someone would put those mods on a truck and not play with it offroad. What do you do when those aftermarket parts break? How long until the transmission craps out from abuse? And on, and on.

Wouldn't touch a truck modded like that with someone else's money, nevermind my own.Let some other sucker buy it.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally have run into a lot of problems with previously modded vehicles. I made sure to stay away from one when I was searching for my f150just because I'd rather know I'm getting something for longevity not just a toy.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by gone postal
The stock truck, for many reasons, all related to the mods.

With those mods, and a replaced motor, it's seen a hard life. I sincerely doubt someone would put those mods on a truck and not play with it offroad. What do you do when those aftermarket parts break? How long until the transmission craps out from abuse? And on, and on.

Wouldn't touch a truck modded like that with someone else's money, nevermind my own.Let some other sucker buy it.
Originally Posted by phan10m
Personally have run into a lot of problems with previously modded vehicles. I made sure to stay away from one when I was searching for my f150just because I'd rather know I'm getting something for longevity not just a toy.

Man, you guys sound like my wife haha. Probably spot on though With 130K on both trucks, for the same price, it makes me wonder why the modded truck is just as cheap. I really don't want to buy someones problem but on the other side of the coin I would love to luck into someones finished product you know?

Ughh... Test drive will tell i guess. On a side note, if I can pick up either for 10-12 K, sounds about right doesn't it? I know the Lariat needs a tire. He said just one, who knows how the other 3 are.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by F150 High Country
Man, you guys sound like my wife haha. Probably spot on though With 130K on both trucks, for the same price, it makes me wonder why the modded truck is just as cheap. I really don't want to buy someones problem but on the other side of the coin I would love to luck into someones finished product you know?

Ughh... Test drive will tell i guess. On a side note, if I can pick up either for 10-12 K, sounds about right doesn't it? I know the Lariat needs a tire. He said just one, who knows how the other 3 are.
I wouldn't even bother with a test drive on the modded truck, frankly.

You're getting someone else's headache.

Quick Reply: Help Choosing which F150