Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HELP! Check Engine Light, Limp Home Light, and ABS Light All On!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Check Engine Light, Limp Home Light, and ABS Light All On!!!

Ok, so here's the story. I got the truck in the fall of 09 and have had absolutely no problems with it at all. Tonight I was hauling pea gravel and the guy put way too much in there on the first load.(2 1/4 tons on the scale). anyway as soon as i got out on the road the abs light came on, then the check engine light, then the limp home light came on. With the limp home light on it runs like crap. Anyway got it home unloaded the gravel and was hoping it would go out once I got the gravel unloaded. It didn't. i then disconnected the battery for a while hoping this would reset it. It didn't either. i then took it to advance auto to run the code and to reset it. They did and it said "Tac System...insufficient power." That took off the check engine light and the limp home light, not the abs light. After about a mile of driving all three lights were back on again.

Is there anything I can do myself or does this thing need to go to a dealership? Is it safe to drive it with all these lights on? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't have the money to pay someone to fix it, but I fear I may have no choice. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 AM

Nobody has any ideas?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 AM

i dont know if this helps at all i have loaded 2600lbs of rocks into my truck before i put in the lift kit and nothing cam on so that should not have the totall reason for your problems there must have been something lacking and then that just made it worse, sorry i could'nt help more
Old 05-26-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by chopper chad
i dont know if this helps at all i have loaded 2600lbs of rocks into my truck before i put in the lift kit and nothing cam on so that should not have the totall reason for your problems there must have been something lacking and then that just made it worse, sorry i could'nt help more
That is alot of rock, but nowhere near what was in mine. I had around 4300 lbs or pea gravel in mine.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 AM

no one has had this happened?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I found this on another thread...depending on what kind of codes you got will depend on the problem...

"I found these three items concerning the P2106 code you have The last thread mentions the "fail safe" mode you refered to):

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...hp?tsb=05-18-2

and

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...hp?tsb=05-14-4

and

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2004-f...-vt167425.html

The P1000 indicates an "incomplete scan". Did you abort the scanning before it was done?

If you have a specific code you are needing an explaination of, go to this link and enter it in their "search" window:

http://www.obd-codes.com/search/

In the meantime, here's a site I like to use for identifying troble codes for all manufacturers:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Just click on vehicle make, and they list the codes for you with a brief explaination.

They also provide the breakdown of an OBD-II code as follows:

Here is a breakdown of what each digit of the code means:
First Character - System

The first character identifies identifies the system related to the trouble code.
P = Powertrain
B = Body
C = Chassis
U = Undefined
Second Digit - Code Type

The second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-II equpped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.
0 = Generic (this is the digit zero -- not the letter "O")
1 = Enhanced (manufacturer specific)
Third Digit - Sub-System

The third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code
1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
3 = Ignition or Misfire
4 = Emission Control
5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
6 = Computer & Output Circuit
7 = Transmission
8 = Transmission
9 = SAE Reserved
0 = SAE Reserved
Fourth and Fifth Digits

These digits, along with the others, are variable, and relate to a particular problem. For example,a P0171 code means P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1). To lookup your particular code, visit our OBD Trouble Codes section.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Mods are Addictive

Do you remember what the code number(s) were?.

Last edited by Evil_E; 05-26-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 AM

thanks for the info. I actually have one of the mechanic's we have on staff where I work coming down to scan it. I'm sure he has better equipment then the dinky thing advance auto used to scan it. I'll let ya know what he says when he gets here.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 AM

ok. here's what he said. He ran the codes and found that the rear speed sensor as well as rear abs sensor were throwing codes. He went back and looked under my truck and found that when I had the load in my truck, the aftermarket exhaust came down so low it actually hit my rearend(the wires are on top of the rearend) The exhaust melted through the wires which were the abs sensor and the speed sensor. He said cut the wires out and splice back in new ones and this should clear up both these codes which in turn he said should probably clear up the limp home mode. I'm gonna do this tonight, so i'll let ya know if it fixed it or not.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Makes perfect sense....let us know....

Quick Reply: HELP! Check Engine Light, Limp Home Light, and ABS Light All On!!!