Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help & ??? Before Possibly Buying New Tires

Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help & ??? Before Possibly Buying New Tires

Attention: Please don't kill me for posting the same question twice. I am sorry as I already did post this question in the "Aftermarket/Tire" section, but I believe that this area gets a lot more traffic so please forgive me for being redundant.

Hye all!

Please give me your honest opinion. Currently I have the "pretty boy gangsta", ridin on 22's look on my ride as you can see below

Obviously at the time of purchase I was more concerned with big rims than actual functionality (although I have not had a problem w/my current Pirelli Scorpion Assimetrico's...I just want something w/a little more "scariness", lol to the tires, & am willing to sacrifice wheel size in the process, but of course I still want them to be badass too!). My current tire specs I'm pretty sure are 275/45/22 which comes out to roughly a 31.7" tire. As you can see from the pic, I have A LOT of tire/wheel well space that I want to fill in.

So that being that case, I'm looking for something a lil more hardcore and was looking at the BFG All-Terrain TA KO's to beef up the ride.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...t-a-ko/44.html

I do have a 2.5" leveling kit and this is a 4x4 so I was looking to get the size of 315/70/17 which comes out to approx. 34.36". I know with a tire that large I would have to stay in the 8-9" wheel diameter which is not a problem as I already have my eye on some nice 17" all black American Racing wheels.

I have read good reviews on these tires, so if you guys would be so kind as to give me your input on whether this would be a smart buy (especially those who already have these tires), or whether I should run away, I would be GREATLY appreciative!

Thanks all
Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 285/75/17 BFG at's on my 05 stx 4x4. Great tires, look good and work good. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. And seeing has how you are going from a 22 inch wheel to a 17 inch wheel your ride will be much smoother. I give em 10/10.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Dre, I'm running 315's on my truck and had to use a 8 inch wide wheel with 5 1/2 inches of backspacing for them not to rub in the front. These 315x70x17 BFG AT's are Hummer tires and ride great. I also have over 32k miles on them and they look like they can go 90k miles. Great tires. I also have 3.73 gear's in my truck and had to use a programmer to adjust speedometer and shift point's caused by these taller tires. I'm still able to get 16-18 mpg on the highway even with these large tires. Check out my gallery, they will fill out the wheelwell's!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Smile One More Question...I Think

Originally Posted by PawPaw
Dre, I'm running 315's on my truck and had to use a 8 inch wide wheel with 5 1/2 inches of backspacing for them not to rub in the front. These 315x70x17 BFG AT's are Hummer tires and ride great. I also have over 32k miles on them and they look like they can go 90k miles. Great tires. I also have 3.73 gear's in my truck and had to use a programmer to adjust speedometer and shift point's caused by these taller tires. I'm still able to get 16-18 mpg on the highway even with these large tires. Check out my gallery, they will fill out the wheelwell's!

Thanks so much for the feedback guys.

Now PawPaw, just so I'm clear you have a 4x4 and are running 315's with just a 2.5" leveling kit...am I understanding you correctly. I do completely understand that I would have to stick with a wheel that is basically stock size of 8" w/5.5" BS which won't be a prob. Just the place where I usually get my truck upgrades done at is acting like 315/70/17 may fit, or that they may not fit and that there might be some rubbing, which is my fear.

Or, I'm not sure if they're just trying to upsell me on a lift kit which they use the kit from

http://truxxx.com/ford_products/105021.htm

which is really nice and would help out the stance of my truck even more, but I just want to know whether I HAVE to get this lift, or if it would just be something nice...???

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:04 PM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Dre I'm running LT305/65 18's which =33.7 tire on my 18 stock rims (for now) I only have a 2"leveling kit and I've been told since that I would be able to run 35's with no problems I have pics in my gallery if you want to check them out oh yea my truck is a 4x4 also
Old 01-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Dre, you can certainly fit a 315 on your truck with just the leveling kit. I'm not a fan of the small wheels on these trucks unless of course it's lowered. The Pro Comp Xtreme AT's would look great on your truck IMO.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 PM

Dre, the 315's clear easily in the front of my truck with the wheels I have on now. I had them on some 17x9 wheels with 5 inches of BS and ran them for around 4k miles with some minor rubbing in the front even after trimming. I then went with the 8" wheels with 5 1/2" BS and that tucked them inside the wheelwells about 1 1/2 inches more and that corrected the rubbing in the front. I would try to test fit one tire in the front if possible before buying. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 PM

Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
Dre, you can certainly fit a 315 on your truck with just the leveling kit. I'm not a fan of the small wheels on these trucks unless of course it's lowered. The Pro Comp Xtreme AT's would look great on your truck IMO.
WXMCPO, what do you consider "small" wheels as you know I've currently got 22's and will prob go down to 17's? I see you have 18" wheels so does that one inch make that much of a difference? Or were you just speaking in general terms?

Also, still please tell me what y'all think, but I think that I'm going to go with the Nitto Terra Grapplers A/T 305/70/17 which comes out to 33.8" while 315/70/17 comes out to 34.36". I really don't think .56" is going to make that much (if any at all) visual difference. And the Nitto's don't make 315's anyways...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dre23
WXMCPO, what do you consider "small" wheels as you know I've currently got 22's and will prob go down to 17's? I see you have 18" wheels so does that one inch make that much of a difference? Or were you just speaking in general terms?
I actually misspoke and meant I don't like small (low profile) tires and not wheels. I think your truck is going to look a lot better rolling around on a smaller wheel, but more rubber.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help & ??? Before Possibly Buying New Tires