Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help/Advice with Warped Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help/Advice with Warped Brakes

I have a 2008 RWD XLT, for the past year, I've had a slightly warped front brake rotor. Nothing too bad, except when you brake coming off the freeway, the truck will shudder.

Skip to a week ago, I hear a really bad grinding and I thought it was the front brakes so I ordered some new front rotors and pads. I get the truck up on jacks and realize my front rotors and pads are okay, but the inside pad on the rear passenger tire is straight metal and was grinding into the rotor. I replaced the rotors and pads on the rear, but left the front because I realized I don't have the floating front rotors. I also put caliper grease I'm the sliding pins on the rear calipers. This brings me to my first question: Why would one pad wear out like that and how can I prevent this from happening in the future? The other 3 pads were all at %50-40.

My next question is do I still need to replace the front pads/rotors? I don't really feel like shelling out the cash for the centric hub and would rather just return the rotors/pads. The shuddering has reduced since I replaced the rear brakes (I'm guessing because the new rear brakes are relieving the work on the front brakes.) but I would hate to prematurely put wear on the new rear brakes.

Also something to note: I didn't bleed the brakes because I didn't have a partner, and the brake fluid has like 80k miles on it, but the brakes are still very responsive. I plan on bleeding them once I figure out what I want to do about the front brakes, but I'm wondering if this can be a factor in the problems.

Thanks guys
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

You may have a stuck/leaky caliper piston in the rear...I'm sure you looked at it after replacing parts...what about your e-brake ??
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some advice -
Dont turn the front rotors again.
I turned mine at the first brake job (55K miles), and within 2 weeks they were already warped.
I had to shell out the cash for new ones... it sucks..
Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
You may have a stuck/leaky caliper piston in the rear...I'm sure you looked at it after replacing parts...what about your e-brake ??
The piston wasn't completely seized (I was able to push it back in with the C-clamp just as easily as the other side), but it did protrude maybe 2-3mm more than the other side when I first pulled it. I'm not sure if it's stuck though, I figure I'll check it when I bleed the brakes sometime next week, to see how the pads are wearing.

Parking brake was fine, I don't use it, except when parked on an incline, which is less than a month.

Quick Reply: Help/Advice with Warped Brakes