Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HELP. 5.4 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP. 5.4 Problems

Ive recently purchased a 2005 F150 XLT 4x4. Truck has 130k on it. It all started with the spark plug problem...Long story short I replaced the drivers side head. Ran into other problems as well, timing chain guides broken. Replaced parts include:
Drivers head
Intake manifold
Timing CVR set
Thermostat
Timing chain
Timing chain guide
Tensioner
Timing arm
CAM sensor x2
multiple oil changes

Truck runs great at start, but after it warms up it will stall when stoped. idles poorly. There is also some ticking and knocking on both sides. I'm afraid parts of the chain guide are bouncing around down there somewhere... considering taking a hit on the truck and selling it...or crate motor...open to sugestions thanks....
Got the truck back today from mechanic, who I've known a long time and trust, his suggestion is to sell the truck tomorrow before is f***s me even worse

Last edited by TxTireMan; 05-02-2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-03-2014, 01:31 AM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TxTireMan
Ive recently purchased a 2005 F150 XLT 4x4. Truck has 130k on it. It all started with the spark plug problem...Long story short I replaced the drivers side head. Ran into other problems as well, timing chain guides broken. Replaced parts include: Drivers head Intake manifold Timing CVR set Thermostat Timing chain Timing chain guide Tensioner Timing arm CAM sensor x2 multiple oil changes Truck runs great at start, but after it warms up it will stall when stoped. idles poorly. There is also some ticking and knocking on both sides. I'm afraid parts of the chain guide are bouncing around down there somewhere... considering taking a hit on the truck and selling it...or crate motor...open to sugestions thanks.... Got the truck back today from mechanic, who I've known a long time and trust, his suggestion is to sell the truck tomorrow before is f***s me even worse
cam phasers. And stalling might be the fpdm
Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The stalling may be solved by the PCM relearning its idle:

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect it, then:

1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
2. Put the gearshift in P (Park), turn off all accessories and start the
engine.
3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
6. Release the parking brake. With your foot on the brake pedal and with
the A/C on, put the vehicle in D (Drive) and allow the engine to idle for
at least one minute.
7. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
• The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to
relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy along with the ethanol content
for flexible fuel vehicles.
• If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle quality
of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle trim is
eventually relearned.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:43 PM

After all hope was gone....This truck has been a headache since day 1, I've prepared myself for trading it in, taking a huge $ loss, and buying a Chevy. I've decided to give it one last try and see if there is any chance of this truck living. I think i've narrowed it down to either Cam phaser or VCT solenoids. I'm getting P0022 and misfires on 3&7. I unplugged the solenoids and will drive it home and see if anything changes. I also plan to run a cleaner through the motor, not sure which yet b/c i know there is alot of carbon build up. After that i will pull the solenoids and check for clogged screens and clean. Any advice is appreciated.

2004 f150 xlt 4x4 5.4 3v
motor "desiels" after warm up. loss of power, think its misfiring around 45-60 mph

Last edited by TxTireMan; 05-14-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 PM

After disconnecting the plugs for VCTs the dieseling seemed to go away, way bogged down though. Still shook the whole truck pretty bad if any throttle around 40-55 mph.

Added a bottle of Rislone Engine treatment (oil additive) and a bottle of fuel/injector treatment (fuel additive) and let it idle for about 15 min.

Quick Reply: HELP. 5.4 Problems