Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HELP! 05 ford f150 VCT solenoid location & other problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HELP! 05 ford f150 VCT solenoid location & other problems?

Hello all I am new to this site and I'm not sure if I even know what I'm doing so sorry if I post in the wrong place...
Anyhow I need help finding my vct solenoids, I have a f150 with a 4.6 liter (Romeo engine) not Windsor. I'm not sure how different they are but I have black plastic looking valve covers and an aluminum intake manifold it's unlike any other 4.6 I have ever seen... Most have aluminum valve covers and I think plastic intake manifolds which I would think of course would probably be a windsor. I surely have vct solenoids don't I? I've looked everywhere on the engine and cannot find such a thing, I've YouTubed it googled it and nothing all I see is windsors with aluminum valve covers and the vct solenoids are right on the valve covers... Does anybody have any idea as to where my vct solenoids may be? Are they under the valve cover or elsewhere? I have developed a rattlesnake sounding rattle when going down hill and feathering the gas pedal and a loud slapping/ticking noise when my truck sits awhile like overnight as if the timing chains lose tension like my oil pressure has bled off, but it only does it like 5 out of 10 times I start it. If I hold my pedal to the floor so my truck won't start and crank my truck for around 10 seconds to build up oil pressure then shut the key off and start normal it won't do it. Ive tried almost every oil filter their is and it still will rattle upon start up if I don't crank it first for around 10 sec to build oil pressure. I'm currently using a Bosch filter the really expensive one at Wal-Mart and it has seemed to help some but hasn't completely stopped the start up clatter. Anyhow i figured I would start simple at the vct solenoids but I cannot find them anywhere! Any help as to where I could find my vct solenoids and what could be causing the start up clatter would be extremely and greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time
Old 05-23-2016, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by DiehardFORDfan22
Hello all I am new to this site and I'm not sure if I even know what I'm doing so sorry if I post in the wrong place...
Anyhow I need help finding my vct solenoids, I have a f150 with a 4.6 liter (Romeo engine) not Windsor. I'm not sure how different they are but I have black plastic looking valve covers and an aluminum intake manifold it's unlike any other 4.6 I have ever seen... Most have aluminum valve covers and I think plastic intake manifolds which I would think of course would probably be a windsor. I surely have vct solenoids don't I? I've looked everywhere on the engine and cannot find such a thing, I've YouTubed it googled it and nothing all I see is windsors with aluminum valve covers and the vct solenoids are right on the valve covers... Does anybody have any idea as to where my vct solenoids may be? Are they under the valve cover or elsewhere? I have developed a rattlesnake sounding rattle when going down hill and feathering the gas pedal and a loud slapping/ticking noise when my truck sits awhile like overnight as if the timing chains lose tension like my oil pressure has bled off, but it only does it like 5 out of 10 times I start it. If I hold my pedal to the floor so my truck won't start and crank my truck for around 10 seconds to build up oil pressure then shut the key off and start normal it won't do it. Ive tried almost every oil filter their is and it still will rattle upon start up if I don't crank it first for around 10 sec to build oil pressure. I'm currently using a Bosch filter the really expensive one at Wal-Mart and it has seemed to help some but hasn't completely stopped the start up clatter. Anyhow i figured I would start simple at the vct solenoids but I cannot find them anywhere! Any help as to where I could find my vct solenoids and what could be causing the start up clatter would be extremely and greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time
I'm having the same issue did you ever figure yours out? I can't find the vct solenoids either
Old 06-25-2016, 09:52 PM

I cant find vts on my f-150 07 4.6, where are they?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:54 PM

opps vct on that 07 f-150 4.6 , one each bank?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:00 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

You guys dont have them, lol. Only the 5.4's for this generation have them.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VCT solenoids

Originally Posted by DiehardFORDfan22
I was just told my 2004 ford f150 4.6l doesn't have VCT solenoids but it acts just like it's got bad VCT solenoids, the rattle like a rod knock but goes away sometimes especially when warmed up and dies when I come to a stop like they are stuck in an advance settings.. what crazy is I can order the solenoids but I don't know where they are located on my engine and I have aluminium valve covers and aluminum intake.. now in all my research I've been seeing them called VCT solenoids and also VVT solenoids and gonna see if that makes a difference and talk to a buddy of mine buddies who are ford freaks and ask them! If I find anything else out I'll let you know because why can I order them and I checked that again thinking they didn't get my truck engine right and once again told they have them on hand so I'm thinking they're under the valve covers!
Old 03-02-2021, 02:52 PM

Received 1,119 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeannie Ernst
I was just told my 2004 ford f150 4.6l doesn't have VCT solenoids but it acts just like it's got bad VCT solenoids, the rattle like a rod knock but goes away sometimes especially when warmed up and dies when I come to a stop like they are stuck in an advance settings.. what crazy is I can order the solenoids but I don't know where they are located on my engine and I have aluminium valve covers and aluminum intake.. now in all my research I've been seeing them called VCT solenoids and also VVT solenoids and gonna see if that makes a difference and talk to a buddy of mine buddies who are ford freaks and ask them! If I find anything else out I'll let you know because why can I order them and I checked that again thinking they didn't get my truck engine right and once again told they have them on hand so I'm thinking they're under the valve covers!
As others have said, if your engine is factory you don’t have vvt/vct solenoids. But if you do, or are convinced you do, try disconnecting them and seeing if your symptoms change.

Quick Reply: HELP! 05 ford f150 VCT solenoid location & other problems?