Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hello to all my ford friends!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello to all my ford friends!!

I'm hoping all you can help me decide which lower ball joints to put on my 2004 f150 4x4.? And should I replace the control arm and end tie rods as well. My problem is the steering wheel had a rattle vibrate to it when you hit 40 mph and up. And the turning on it seems a little tough when making a turn. Please help with any answers. Ford dealership told me I needed new lower ball joints and I need to know how to check myself to see if they are really in Need of replacing.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

To check, you can jack up the truck and move the wheel and other chassis parts to see what's bad. Anything with excessive slack needs replacing. On the lowers, you can just change the ball joint, but the whole arm has to be changed for the uppers.

Part brand is really up to your preference. Just get a reputable brand such as Moog, Dana, or TRW. Chassis parts are not something you wanna cheap out on.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

^^ this guy has you covered on checking, but if you have to replace something you might as well replace it all while you're in there and dirty. During thanksgiving I replaced my upper and lower ball joints (upper control arms), inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, shocks, brakes + rotors, and 4x4 hubs. I used moog for everything besides shocks and hubs brakes and rotors. You're going to have to take most of these off/apart to get to each one of these parts so you might as well replace it all. Pretty easy job, just a little time consuming.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower ball joint

Originally Posted by nrivera04
To check, you can jack up the truck and move the wheel and other chassis parts to see what's bad. Anything with excessive slack needs replacing. On the lowers, you can just change the ball joint, but the whole arm has to be changed for the uppers.

Part brand is really up to your preference. Just get a reputable brand such as Moog, Dana, or TRW. Chassis parts are not something you wanna cheap out on.
Thank you for the help. They are bad so i will attempt to change them out. Seems like my rotors are in Need of turning as well . vibration from brake pedal when applying brakes. And also steering wheel vibrates at 56 to 60mph. Had balance on tires and still there. So I'll be posting this issue later for some help solving these problems. Thank you to all for your time to help me. Ed

Quick Reply: Hello to all my ford friends!!