Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Heavy Steering and Burning/smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heavy Steering and Burning/smoke

It all started about 5 months ago and since i dont drive my truck daily I let this problem go which was a dumb idea.

The steering wheel sometimes started getting super heavy now and then when driving but it wasn't ever consistent. One morning I would start the truck and the steering is fine for the whole day. The next day it was heavy and very hard to turn. Sometimes when turning, the steering wheel would just be stuck in the turning position and if I didnt force it back straight I could literally just go in circles.

Yesterday, work up and started the truck. Steering was fine. Could make turns with my pinky. After work I started the truck to go home and knew I was in for a pain in the butt ride. Steering wheel was super heavy and hard to turn. At this point I just wanted to get home and look at it.

About 3/4 the way home I started smelling burning and smoke started coming through my air vents. By the time I got home which was about 3 mins later from that spot a good amount of smoke was coming out of the engine bay.

Not sure what the heck is going on but im sure it has to do with Power Steering line/ pump but what is causing the burning and smoke? Reservoir for the power steering fluid is full.

Any info you can come up with will at least get my mind turning to figure out what the heck is wrong.

Bob
Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Two things:
-your ps pump is on the way out and the pully isn't turning, which makes your belt slip over it and heat up=burning smell and smoke.
-your belt tensioner is weak and allowing the belt to slip. since the PS pump pulley slips and the belt starts to heat up and smell/smoke.

I would replace the tensioner and belt first (clean all the pulleys with alcohol to remove any slippery fluids). less than $60 in parts.

If that doesn't fix it, replace the PS pump and clean everything up again.

Quick Reply: Heavy Steering and Burning/smoke