Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Heater has a mind of its own - temp and vent position

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heater has a mind of its own - temp and vent position

Sorry to start another heater thread, but I did a search and didn't really find the answer I was looking for. I just picked up an 08 XLT with manual heater/ac controls and am having some issues with the temp and the vent position.

First the temp. When I turn on the heater and set the temp it seems to fluctuate between hot and cold. I had it set just slightly on the warm side of the cold/hot blend. It will blow out warm for awhile then go to full on hot and I will have to put it all the way on cold to get it to cool off. Then when I put it back to warm the process starts all over again. It will not maintain a consistent temp. I've read about the blend door actuator behind the radio, but was unsure if this was my problem. Any ideas?

Now for the vents. When I change the position of airflow, it seems to never fully change to where I want it. It seems like some air is always leaking out of a different vent. Also, if I select a position and crank the fan all the way to position 4, I can hear it blowing hard, but it just doesn't seem like it's blowing enough air out of the postition selected. Could this also be the blend actuator or is there something else I should look into?

I just bought the truck with 36,100 miles on it and it is out of warranty. However, the dealership gave me a 3 month/3000 mile warranty, but it has a $50 deductible. I am mechanically inclined and capable of tearing into it myself and I don't want to pay a $50 deductible to have them look at it if it's only going to be $30 for parts.

Any Ideas?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:08 PM

I would pay the $50 deductible! Especially if you need to pull the dash to access the mode door and blend door. Seems to be a common problem with these trucks.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by oneshot4x4x
I would pay the $50 deductible! Especially if you need to pull the dash to access the mode door and blend door. Seems to be a common problem with these trucks.
If the mode and blend doors are behind the radio area in the center part of the dash, I'm not too worried about pulling it all apart. I just didn't want to buy a bunch of extra parts I didn't need if anyone has a good idea of what parts I would need.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fordparts.com will give you an idea.

Looks like the Blend door motor is $25.00 to $30.00 but the Blend door lever is $350.00

I would pay the 50 bucks and let them worry about it!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
04 F150 FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on what everyone else said, your either down $15-$20 or saving a ton of time money and effort by taking it to the dealer, I would take it to the dealer, especially if you don't know exactly what the problem is.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 PM

I've been doing a little more investigating and here's what I'm thinking...

Temp control (blend door):
When I turn the the temp control **** anywhere in the blue area I can hear the actuator working no matter how slight I move the ****. When I set it in the middle (between the blue and red), or slightly past, I can hear the actuator twitching or "searching" for the right position. As I move it further into the red it will stop "searching," but I can't hear it move. Then, when I move it to about 1/4 of the way from being full hot, I can hear the actuator move the door all the way open to full hot. I can't tell for sure if it's the **** (potentiometer) or the actuator. Since I was noticing the hot/cold issue when I had the selector set near the middle (warm) position, I'm thinking it is the "searching" that is alowing it to fluctuate between hot and cold.

Position selector (mode door):
After reading a little about this issue, I've found that there is a problem with foam coming loose from the duct work and interferring with the the door, preventing it from working properly. Based on what I've noticed with my truck, this seems to be the problem I'm having. Sometimes it works like it's supposed to and sometimes it doesn't and lets air leak out other vents that aren't selected. What makes me think it's the foam issue is that when I do hear it switching positions and dragging on something, I'll crank the fan on high and it'll spit out a couple small (BB to pea size) pieces of foam.

I haven't decided yet on whether I'll dig into it myself or let the the dealer have a crack at it. I just wanted to keep this thread updated in case someone else is having the same trouble and runs across it. I may pop a couple dash pieces off this weekend to see what kind fo job it looks like. If it doesn't seem too bad, I may order some parts and tackle it myself.

Last edited by jdubb75; 04-13-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought I was the only one with that issue. Mine is either hot or cold there is no in between. In the summer with the a/c on my pedal foot freezes off. In the winter it gets cooked. If I dont drive it for a few days it takes it forever for it to switch between vent selections. I wish they would leave alot of this electronic bull**** off, and go back to using cables and linkages. At least on my 84 f150 I can have cool, warm, or hot air out of any vent I want, just by moving the slide over.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if my memory serves me correctly, i remember reading about this problem. i think it was determined that styrofoam would break loose and get wedged in the blend motor and/or blower motor. only problem is you have to tear apart the dash to find out. im not 100% sure though, might want to do a search on it
Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to 'steal' the thread....

My 08 is still under warranty. I have the same issue, either HOT or COLD no warm...I have had it in 3 times now, once for the Blower Motor, second time for the blend door and the 3rd time I can't remember what they did..but it didn't fix it...any ideas what I can tell them to check?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zax
Sorry to 'steal' the thread....

My 08 is still under warranty. I have the same issue, either HOT or COLD no warm...I have had it in 3 times now, once for the Blower Motor, second time for the blend door and the 3rd time I can't remember what they did..but it didn't fix it...any ideas what I can tell them to check?
I don't have any great suggestions as I haven't looked into mine yet. Since yours is still under warranty, maybe you should keep taking it in until they get it right then Post up the solution.

Quick Reply: Heater has a mind of its own - temp and vent position