Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Heater/AC working on vent only

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater/AC working on vent only

So I just bought this 06 f150, XLT extended cab 4x4.

No matter what you select the ac or heat will only come out the vents, even when you select defrost or floor. I was told to change the actuator that is right above the gas pedal, I bought a new on from the dealer and changed it out but I still have the same problem.

Here is some info on truck any help is appreciated:

it has the 3 dial selectors (fan speed, temp, and defrost/vent/floor)
the max vs regular ac still works
fan speed and temp selector still work
if you change the selector is makes a noise behind dash like it is working but nothing changes
It is out of manufactures warranty and I did not buy the extended warranty, I discovered problem next day after buying it from a dealer but they said too bad you should have bought extended warranty, we told you so.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Milkman
So I just bought this 06 f150, XLT extended cab 4x4.

No matter what you select the ac or heat will only come out the vents, even when you select defrost or floor. I was told to change the actuator that is right above the gas pedal, I bought a new on from the dealer and changed it out but I still have the same problem.

Here is some info on truck any help is appreciated:

it has the 3 dial selectors (fan speed, temp, and defrost/vent/floor)
the max vs regular ac still works
fan speed and temp selector still work
if you change the selector is makes a noise behind dash like it is working but nothing changes
It is out of manufactures warranty and I did not buy the extended warranty, I discovered problem next day after buying it from a dealer but they said too bad you should have bought extended warranty, we told you so.

BUMP.

Mine just started doing this today....... I ran out of standard warranty and don't want to pay the deductible if it is a $50 part.....
Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 AM

I had the same issue with my truck. Fortunatly i am still under warranty so i took it to the dealer. It was the Actuator they replaced and i havent had a problem since. friend of mine also has a 2007 FX4 and his truck did the same. Actuator fixed the issue in his truck as well..
Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If you guys would use the search function, you would see the actuator door is a common culprit for this problem.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucko
If you guys would use the search function, you would see the actuator door is a common culprit for this problem.
If you guys would read his post you would see that he replaced the actuator with no result
Old 05-11-2009, 02:35 AM

My point was maybe it needs to be done by certified mechanic thats all.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
If you guys would read his post you would see that he replaced the actuator with no result
I was refering to using the search, not to his work, or what he replaced, meaning if he would do a search, he would find that the actuator is the most common to this fault; there are other possibilities.

The search is the best tool to identify other possibilities, assuming his installation of the actuator is correct. So, I did one for you. You will see that the actuator is mentioned as first culprit, but here are other possibilities:

https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...light=actuator

There are at least 4 pages of "actuator" posts, and some refer to a door lock. So you can refine your search to "blend door actuator".

One of the above threads I copied for you mentions an actuator "motor"; I do not know if this comes with the "actuator" assembly you bought, but this was the problem with another posters vent selection.

As to the comment the dealer gave you about buying the extended warrantee, just one question: when you realized the vent problem the next day (you mention this in your post that you descovered the failure "the next day"), did you report it then? Just about every state allows you 72 hours to back out of a contract. Had that salesperson (or whomever) stated the extended warrantee statement to me, I would have told he/she you want to exersize the 72 hour contract law.

Also, I assume you tested everything on the truck before you signed the contract? Anything that does not work should be brought to the salespersons attention. If it worked the day you bought it, and failed the next day, you'd have a good chance of having the dealer repair it for you at their cost.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-11-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
I was refering to using the search, not to his work, or what he replaced, meaning if he would do a search, he would find that the actuator is the most common to this fault; there are other possibilities.

The search is the best tool to identify other possibilities, assuming his installation of the actuator is correct. So, I did one for you. You will see that the actuator is mentioned as first culprit, but here are other possibilities:

There are at least 4 pages of "actuator" posts, and some refer to a door lock. So you can refine your search to "blend door actuator".

One of the above threads I copied for you mentions an actuator "motor"; I do not know if this comes with the "actuator" assembly you bought, but this was the problem with another posters vent selection.

As to the comment the dealer gave you about buying the extended warrantee, just one question: when you realized the vent problem the next day (you mention this in your post that you descovered the failure "the next day"), did you report it then? Just about every state allows you 72 hours to back out of a contract. Had that salesperson (or whomever) stated the extended warrantee statement to me, I would have told he/she you want to exersize the 72 hour contract law.

Also, I assume you tested everything on the truck before you signed the contract? Anything that does not work should be brought to the salespersons attention. If it worked the day you bought it, and failed the next day, you'd have a good chance of having the dealer repair it for you at their cost.

Lets see if I can answer all these questions, I did use the search but thought that my problem was beyond the blend door actuator as I had allready replaced that, hence the post.
Yes I reported it the next day, I bought it as is and had no idea about the 72 hr law. I really thought as a PR move they would fix it (the part cost me 32 bucks at another ford dealer, pretty cheap PR move I thought)
Before buying I tested the heat and ac and blower all worked, I guess I got in a hurry and never switched it from vent to floor and defrog, it was the next morning when I wanted defrost to get to work is when I realized it and I call the dealer to let them know then, maybe 12 hours after buying the truck.
I am sorry to have made this post, I didn't realize how much of the pot it would stir.
What I have since put together after originally posting is (correct me if I am wrong) but the truck uses this blend door actuator and vaccum to change from vent/floor/defrost. The common sense I failed to use before posting was by turning the key i was only sending power to the motor but had no vacumm. After posting that this all failed I went to drive the truck the next day everything work fine. If this is wrong let me know cause then I will be really stumped as to why is started working.
As for taking it to a pro mechanic, I thought this forum was here to help each other and to pay dealership labor costs as a last resort?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

No reason for you to apologize at all. I only mentioned the search because most folks that are new to this forum are not aware of this handy tool.

It is a shame that the dealer treated you in the way they did. In this day and age, most dealers are going way out of their way to gain your trust, and more importantly, your return business. The dealership where I bought my used truck 8 months ago(Lewisville Ford in the dallas/Ft Worth area) treated me like royalty. The day I bought it, they insisted on detailing it (we are talking a used 2005 STX for $8000.00), and gave me a 2008 Ford SUV demo to drive for a day and a half. I had an old VW Vanagon that I traded in, and was more than willing to drive it until the truck was ready, but they still gave me the SUV to drive at no cost to me. About 2 months after the truck's purchase, I noticed one of the tire jack rods was missing. I called the sales person to see if he'd grab one from another used truck on the lot. Instead, he ordered it for me, then called a couple days later to tell me it was in. No cost to me. He then gave me a free oil change coupon for the "inconvienience"!

Seems like the dealer you worked with lost you on any repeat business over a $32.00 part. Not good business on their part.

When I buy again, they will be the first dealer I will visit again. I've since then given them some parts orders, even though I could have bought online for a bit cheaper. To me, that's what it's all about.

And your right, this place is to help others out; sometimes I seem to forget that. I apologize if my responses led you to think otherwise.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-11-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM

I wish the dealership here would treat me like that but oh well, it is what it is. The positive side is I bought the truck for almost 4k under SRV and 500 under private party, dealer claimed the selling priced is based on what they had in it not what it books for, weird but I took it.

I only apologized just I thought I started a little riff, didn't wanna do that.

Search functions in web forums are definently under utilized but I felt I didn't get enough info in the search so I asked again.

I still wonder if my theory is right, if it is then I think I might have a really weak vaccum leak somewhere. Over the last few days it works most of the time. If it doesn't change the first time I go back to 12 o clock and it usually changes on the second try. Other thing I noticed is success rate on changing is much lower if vent is on any other setting than 1.

Quick Reply: Heater/AC working on vent only