Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Heat/ ac Fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heat/ ac Fan

Tonight I heard a strange noise coming from my heater/ ac fan. it sounded like a blade was hitting something but when I changed the speed the sound didst get faster or loader as the fad did. it was a faint clicking. I turn off the heater and the sound went away trend it back on and the clicking started again. then after a while it stopped all together, then in a short time it started doing it again.

does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this?

the truck is a 08 super cab with about 4500 miles on it.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyp
Tonight I heard a strange noise coming from my heater/ ac fan. it sounded like a blade was hitting something but when I changed the speed the sound didst get faster or loader as the fad did. it was a faint clicking. I turn off the heater and the sound went away trend it back on and the clicking started again. then after a while it stopped all together, then in a short time it started doing it again.

does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this?

the truck is a 08 super cab with about 4500 miles on it.
What are you saying with this sentence???:

"but when I changed the speed the sound didst get faster or loader as the fad did"

If I attempt to translate to: but when I changed the speed, the sound did (or did not??) get faster or louder as the fan did"...

Then you may have some debris in the fan. The "squirrel cage" fan that blows the air through the various vents may be striking against a leaf or piece of paper that got sucked into the air intake vent.

Or not. I sure cannot understand that sentance.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Something, a piece of paper has been sucked into the cage for the fan. My wife crams so much crap into the glove box that it happens to me all the time. Mechanical fingers needed to remove crap.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 AM

The sound does not change whit the fan speed. the noise is constant.

How would I check the squirrel cage?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyp
The sound does not change whit the fan speed. the noise is constant.

How would I check the squirrel cage?
Then I doubt it is the squirrel cage fan. If something is rubbing against the fan, it would change speed or pitch as the fan motor spins faster (or slower).
To check non the less, open your glove box, then press in on the right side; the glove box door will drop down to the floor, allowing you to peer into the right side dash area. The blower motor/squirrel cage/air intake is in this area. Put the ignition key to "on", turn on the fan, and see if you can pin point the noise in this area, looking for any obstruction (I.E. piece of paper, etc). If not, then you'll need to chase the noise towards the center of the dash (behind the radio, etc).

I found out who the original dealer and owner was of my truck by dropping down the glove box; there was an envelope that had fallen behind the glove box, and was pinched between it and the air ducting. When I opened the envelope, it was a document to file for Texas plates that had the original dealer and owners names on it. It had the VIN, current mileage (15 miles at the time). Even has the addresses of both on it.

Big friggin' deal huh?

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-27-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 PM

I am sure there is nothing from the glove box that got in there I only have the owners manual, the registration (in a small folder) and a tire gauger.

But I will check when I get home from work tomorrow, If not I will be taking it to the dealer so they can chase down the noise. I just want to make sure it isn't something normal.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:45 PM

I heard it again today. it sounded like someone was tapping on the inside of the dash behind the radio with a pencil.
I turned the temp. control all the way over to cold and it stopped.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Beer Drinker

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Ever find out what this was and how to fix? My 07 has been doing this for a while.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 AM

it turned out to be the blender it helps regulate the temperature by mixing the heat and cool air.

They fixed mine under warranty but the invoice showed they charged for something in the $70 range.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Beer Drinker

Received 65 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok. Thanks. At least I'll know what to look for.

Quick Reply: Heat/ ac Fan