Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Headliner help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headliner help

Okay guys my sunroof took a dump and I need to get to it insides. How much of a hassle is it to remove the headliner? Any sort of help and advice would be much appreciated!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tyler85
Okay guys my sunroof took a dump and I need to get to it insides. How much of a hassle is it to remove the headliner? Any sort of help and advice would be much appreciated!
I've heard the easiest way is to remove the windshield.... But I remember reading some guy took passenger seat out and was able to just get it out that way....
Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 07_F150_XLT_SCab

I've heard the easiest way is to remove the windshield.... But I remember reading some guy took passenger seat out and was able to just get it out that way....
I'm just looking to drop it down enough to remove the sunroof and replace the parts. I've heard lowering the headliner is harder that actually fixing the sunroof. Did a really big no no and siliconed the seal to the roof because we're calling for rain tomorrow. Just a tempory fix untill I get around to doing the hard stuff.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Ford Tech

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Year? Crew cab?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Although I like doing most of the work to my truck myself this is something I would probably pay someone to do. Half of everyone I know has a leaking sunroof, so after you mess with it yourself (assuming you have never done it before) there is a pretty good chance it would leak the way I see it. Good Luck and hope it works out for you.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to take all the seats out to properly take it out and pull all the side plastics deff invest in a special tool for removing plastic push pins
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 AM

It's a 2006 screw. And I'm trying to avoid taking The seats out. From what alot of guys have told me, bringing the head liner down Is the hardest part of it all.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

2004 Super Cab
I replaced the broken tracks in my sunroof with parts from sunroofdr.com. About $120 for both tracks plus shipping. These parts appear to be at least as good as the original parts that broke.
Sunroofdr provides good directions for replacing the tracks (no directions for the headliner removal).
Lowering the headliner was the most difficult part of the job. We had done research before beginning as to how the visors, sails, coat hangers and lights could be removed.
I did not remove any seats or windows. Just lowered the headliner to rest on the seats and dash.
Removed the sunroof assembly, replaced the tracks and put everything back together.
The entire job took 2 of us 3 hours to complete and everything looks as good as new.
This repair was made over a year ago. The sunroof still works fine with no leaks.
I have seen posts where Ford charges upward of $1200 for this repair. They do not replace the tracks, they replace the entire assembly (at your expense).
Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
2004 Super Cab
I replaced the broken tracks in my sunroof with parts from sunroofdr.com. About $120 for both tracks plus shipping. These parts appear to be at least as good as the original parts that broke.
Sunroofdr provides good directions for replacing the tracks (no directions for the headliner removal).
Lowering the headliner was the most difficult part of the job. We had done research before beginning as to how the visors, sails, coat hangers and lights could be removed.
I did not remove any seats or windows. Just lowered the headliner to rest on the seats and dash.
Removed the sunroof assembly, replaced the tracks and put everything back together.
The entire job took 2 of us 3 hours to complete and everything looks as good as new.
This repair was made over a year ago. The sunroof still works fine with no leaks.
I have seen posts where Ford charges upward of $1200 for this repair. They do not replace the tracks, they replace the entire assembly (at your expense).
Hey thanks joe I got your pm but my mobile app wouldn't let me reply. I'm planning on tackling this headache within the next few weeks. Your input is great!

Quick Reply: Headliner help