Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

Looking for some Headlights with LEDs. Ive found some but all of them have projector lights with angle eyes. Im not completely against them, but that's not the issue.
All of them have a 2 bulb system and my 08 has a one bulb system (I have upgraded to HIDs, but it is still only one bulb.)
What are you guys running (looking for chrome reflectors)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:24 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowtorch
Looking for some Headlights with LEDs. Ive found some but all of them have projector lights with angle eyes. Im not completely against them, but that's not the issue.
All of them have a 2 bulb system and my 08 has a one bulb system (I have upgraded to HIDs, but it is still only one bulb.)
What are you guys running (looking for chrome reflectors)
OEM housings with retrofitted HID projectors from: www.theretrofitsource.com

The ones you are looking for are all junk - sorry but true. And running PnP HID's like you are now is a very poor alternative - they are also junk. Again - sorry but true. That is not an 'upgrade', but just the opposite, unless you utilize quality projector to properly manage the beam pattern.

MGD
The following users liked this post:
Blowtorch (04-03-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 AM

It looks like they are selling "kits" for doing a retrofit yourself. I would prefer to buy a competed housing if available. There should be some kits out there that are good quality.
I bought projector lights for a BMW and they have been great. Perfect fit and no issues.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 AM
MGD
former member

It looks like they are selling "kits" for doing a retrofit yourself. I would prefer to buy a competed housing if available. There should be some kits out there that are good quality.
I bought projector lights for a BMW and they have been great. Perfect fit and no issues.
You can contract one of our supported retrofitters who can build you a set to yer specifications.

Or you can do them yerself - it's not difficult.

Other than what TRS (or their dealer/support/retrofitter network) sells,There really are no other 'kits' worth spit out there - sorry. Just junk.

More info here if yer interested:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/spendi...4/#post4057751

I repeat - avoid those aftermarket POS's - you will regret it. A simple search on this site alone will confirm this.

Lastly- the best retrofitting components are the OEM ones (projectors, ballasts, capsules).

MGD
Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 PM

I am talking with them now trying to see what type of setup will work for me
It requires removing the lens, and I had read on here that it was all but impossible to remove
Have you guys removed yours?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM
MGD
former member

I am talking with them now trying to see what type of setup will work for me
It requires removing the lens, and I had read on here that it was all but impossible to remove
Have you guys removed yours?
Hi.

Impossible? Hardly. Just takes some patience (it's Permaseal, not butyl).

Here's a good feller on here whut opened 2009+ heads like nuffin', lol. Same sealant - same principle. Send the Missus shoppin' - woont want her to see ye bakin' heads in her nw oven . Lmao.

==>

To reseal - make sure you buy butyl selant from TRS, or NAPA (3M Window Weld).

MGD

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 04-03-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Blowtorch (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 08:54 AM

Thanks guys
Guess we'll see what they have and maybe get something on the way. Sure would like to see a little better than I can now
Old 04-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Parts Guy

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

If you do find one. Make sure you do your home work. I was going to buy a kit and the company that they used here in Vegas was crap. They wanted $900 to install the stuff. That's me buying everything and them installing it. Plus a week down on my car. I don't think you can buy a full headlight done. Why beats me. If you Find one for the love of god please message me.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:03 PM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by beetlevegas
If you do find one. Make sure you do your home work. I was going to buy a kit and the company that they used here in Vegas was crap. They wanted $900 to install the stuff. That's me buying everything and them installing it. Plus a week down on my car. I don't think you can buy a full headlight done. Why beats me. If you Find one for the love of god please message me.
Sure you can.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/par...e-hid-kit.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/ill...-retrofit.html

https://www.f150forum.com/f83/bilinv...rofits-152753/

...To name a few reputable retrofitters.

A list of more is here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/authorized-dealers

And the high-quality 'kit's are from here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...ofit-kits.html

MGD
beetlevegas (04-04-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 PM

OK; I have a projector kit and will have to disassemble the headlight (remove the lens) . There is one post above, that describes the removal on a slightly later model.
Are there any more write ups or vids on this procedure? I have read a LOT of post that say this is VERY difficult to do, and the "heating" has to be pretty close or you can damage the light. To that note, there are several different temps and times given.
Not real excited about performing this mod.

Quick Reply: Headlights