Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Headlight problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problem!!!

So I baked my headlights and took the lenses off to black out the housing. when I put them back on, on the lenses there are a lot tiny little dots that are making a haze on my lenses. Its not something on the lenses and I sealed them back with silicone. Could it have been from heating them? Has anyone else had this problem? SOOOO irritated!!!! Please help
Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Condensation. Silicone is not a very good sealant for headlights. Pull them back apart and reseal them with butyl tape and clamps overnight. Should fix your problem. I always use butyl to re-seal when I retro-fit headlights and it makes a great seal.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 AM

Thats the thing though, its not water, its almost like little cracks everywhere...
Old 07-08-2011, 04:34 AM

Post a pic so we can see exactly what you are talking about. Possibly dust or something on the inside of the lense from when it was off. Did you wipe the lense with a regular cloth or microfiber?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

How hot did you have the oven? Were the headlights showing this condition before reassembly with the silicone? Silicone gives off strong vapors (vinegar odor) and I am wondering if these vapors attached to the porous plastic. Just a thought. Similar to what super glue vapors will do to clear plastics. Too high of an oven heat could ba the problem too.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

It's called "spidering". It can happen if you get the lenses too hot. I have done a lot of retrofitting with several different trucks, and have made this same mistake more than I'd like to admit. When the lens gets to a certain temp (approx 250*) for too long it will "cook" and shrink the outer protective coating on the inside of the lens, looking like a spider web. There is no way to fix it as far as I know, I would just get a new set and try again. Remember low and slow.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 AM

down where i live you can look at just about any f150 and your will see that happen. we have temps that get up around 120 add in the sun factor put if your park on asphalt and its will do that fast. I ended up havin to just replace mine bc they got so bad
Old 07-08-2011, 02:49 PM

silly woman, baking is for cakes!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zero_Fx2
silly woman, baking is for cakes!
Hey now!!! That's not cool. I know a lot of people do this! My fiance did it to his past two trucks and I've had a lot of friends do it. They always come out just fine! With that being said, not only am I bad *** in the kitchen "baking" but how many other chicks do you know that would actually get out there and work on their trucks?! This is not Suzy freakin homemaker you are talking to here.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by StuckZipper
It's called "spidering". It can happen if you get the lenses too hot. I have done a lot of retrofitting with several different trucks, and have made this same mistake more than I'd like to admit. When the lens gets to a certain temp (approx 250*) for too long it will "cook" and shrink the outer protective coating on the inside of the lens, looking like a spider web. There is no way to fix it as far as I know, I would just get a new set and try again. Remember low and slow.
I had it at about 275. My fiance did his Tacoma headlights at that temp and it didn't do that. Guess his are just more resistant. What should I set it to you think? Maybe lower than 250 and just bake them a little longer?

Quick Reply: Headlight problem!!!