Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Headlight opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight opinions.

Anybody out there have some headlights that are aftermarket? I'm looking at some Spyders and I would really like to know some opinions. Any thoughts? Oh if u have any pictures post them up that'd be great.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll try and get you a pic when I get the chance to wash her. Anyway I bought a set of harley style off of ebay then had the lens smoked. Looks awesome, if you ask me, but then had to get a set of HID from retro solutions
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Retrofit blows the spyders out of the water for light output. I saved comparison pics but not at computer till this afternoon
The following users liked this post:
MGD (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt's07F150
Anybody out there have some headlights that are aftermarket? I'm looking at some Spyders and I would really like to know some opinions. Any thoughts? Oh if u have any pictures post them up that'd be great.
Save the money and get some retrofits. Either do the mod yourself or find someone like Sammy to do it for you. It's pricey but the light output beats just about everything out there AND you can further customize the lights to suit your taste. The cutoff helps prevent oncoming traffic from being blinded too.

I got Sammy to make me a set and I can't wait to get home to put them on my truck.

MGD (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdgonzo101
Save the money and get some retrofits. Either do the mod yourself or find someone like Sammy to do it for you. It's pricey but the light output beats just about everything out there AND you can further customize the lights to suit your taste. The cutoff helps prevent oncoming traffic from being blinded too.

I got Sammy to make me a set and I can't wait to get home to put them on my truck.

Hi OP;

Listen-up to these good fellers - a retrofit is yer best option, aight?

There be set fer sale right now in the Classifieds if you don't want to DIY.

==> https://www.f150forum.com/f61/retrod...lights-243474/

Spyders, as shipped, are junk for output. And simply dropping an HID PnP kit into one makes it worse. Tres' Horrible, lol.

Now, if you insist you like the appearance of the Spyders and simply MUST have them, TRS does sell a kinda/sorta 'drop in' upgrade to replace the crap halogen projector with something effective:

==> http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.U1e9FFVdVog

good luck!
MGD
Old 04-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey OP.

If you're interested in the aftermarket lights but also care the slightest bit about seeing at night you should buy the TRS retro quik kit. It's a direct swap for the spyder headlamps and almost a direct fit for the spec-d (check my thread).

For mine I had to make a new bracket and I'm still opening the headlights every now and then to tweak the bracket cause it's bending my cutoff shield the slightest bit which is causing my cutoff to be a little wonky.

In total I've spent about $500 on these headlights, not including the HID kits I've bought. Just a heads up, the kit doesn't work with Recon, Anzo, or any other headlamp. You'd have to fabricate a brand new bracket as where with the spec-d lamps I just used the bracket provided and made a new one based on it's design.

But if you're more worried about how the headlights looks than how much you see at night the spec-d and spyder still have a pretty good cutoff, but it's not very wide. I'll put up a picture of my cutoff with the spec-d lamps with 8000k HIDs.

Message me if you have any questions!
Attached Thumbnails Headlight opinions.-image-2381589840.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent a solid week researching headlight options. I wanted blacked with or without HID. This is what I learned.

1. Retro fits are the only real option.
2. HD lights are hard to come buy and not worth the cost.
3. Paint your own cheapest easiest route.
4. All after markets will leak, fog and or fail within a year or so.
MGD (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 04:37 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by French
I spent a solid week researching headlight options. I wanted blacked with or without HID. This is what I learned.

1. Retro fits are the only real option.
2. HD lights are hard to come buy and not worth the cost.
3. Paint your own cheapest easiest route.
4. All after markets will leak, fog and or fail within a year or so.
^^^ Nailed it!

MGD
French (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NamedHerOksana
Hey OP.
But if you're more worried about how the headlights looks than how much you see at night the spec-d and spyder still have a pretty good cutoff, but it's not very wide. I'll put up a picture of my cutoff with the spec-d lamps with 8000k HIDs. !
I saved your comparison photos to easily show difference.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight opinions.-aftermarket-vs-mini-h1-retrofit-namedheroksana.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's a bad picture of the new ones. I've tweaked the brackets a bit since then. I have one photo but the bulbs are different colours cause I was having ballast issues.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight opinions.-image-3716882646.jpg  

Quick Reply: Headlight opinions.