Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Headlight Moisture/Condensation Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Moisture/Condensation Help!

I'm sure this topic has been talked about at least a thousand times so I apologize in advance. I have aftermarket headlights on my Saleen truck that recently have been fogging up due to moisture. I understand people have used RVT silicone to seal where the housing meets the headlight. My questions are:

What is the best RVT silicone to use? (my local auto store told me it might only be a temp fix because it will come off after prolonged exposure to sunlight.)

Is it a MUST to bake the headlights and remove the old sealant? or can I just cover it?

Is there a DIY or something that I could be pointed to.....

Any would be seriously appreciated.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Custom Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Im not exactly sure but i would like to know aswell since i want to paint mine im sure someone on here knows headlights are a popular topic....got any pictures of your truck?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Remove the headlights from your truck check all the rubber seals around all the bulb sockets dry them out with LP air..run a bead of clear RTV around the seam where the lens meets the housing let dry...re-install
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with techrep...I was having the same issue with mine fogging but I didn't put the rubber sealant around the bulb back on properly. Put the seal around wire and then plug the bulb in. With the bulb in, you can then work the rubber seal around the bulb. It sounds really dumb, but this guarantees a good seal and you'd be surprised how much it helps.

Quick Reply: Headlight Moisture/Condensation Help!