Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

headlight housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight housing

Well; I am trying to install my projectors and am trying to separate the lens from the housing and having ZERO luck. I have heated it a couple of times and cannot get it to budge
I saw on one of the videos the guy removed two screws, but I thought thye held on the reflector. DO I need to remove these to remove the lens? (I drilled the housing so I could access one but I don't even have anything that will reach it..)
Also; The video showed the best place to start on a later model, but anyone have any suggestions on where to start on the 08 style
thanks
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

What oven temps are you using, and for how long? the lenses have to come off to do the mod you are attempting to do.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:05 AM

I am baking at 225* fpt 10-12mns. It is getting the glue hot an pliable because it is "running a little. I just cant get any tool inserted anywhere to start pulling it apart
I had asked about the screws because I wanted to make sure they weren't holding it on
The 08 is definitely different than the later model vid I saw, because the lens came out and the reflector stayed on that one
Just worried I am going to crack or break the lens
Old 05-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

There are no screws. Can I see pics? If they have been siliconed you are hosed. I put mine in at 250 and it was a lot of work to tear them apart. You will need to pull-pull-pull put in oven and repeat. It is a process and you do not want to rush it otherwise you can cause stress cracks in the lens.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:36 PM

OK; SO I have the lenses off. (Thanks MGD for the detailed post on where to start) The 1st one took me 5 times and a LONG time, and the second one took 15min and one baking.
NOW.... I am Soooo disappointed in the fact that the projectors are not a bolt in (where the bulb came from) I specifically told the retrofit guys (who are NO help at all) I didnt want to do any grinding on the reflector, but mine wont go through, so now I have to stop and do some research on what to grind, before I can proceed.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:54 PM

I have one side mocked up with the exception of installing the lense (I have it taped on)
What do I hook the two wire "solenoid plug" to? Of course there are no wiring instructions. I have most of it figured out, but don't know where to plug it.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Blown Mafia

The solenoid is for the shield. Ground one leg and put the other on your high beam from the OE harness.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 AM

Thanks Scobar

This is one PITA mod!
There are hardly any instructions, and when there are, they are not accurate.
I wired my halos as they said (cut yellow, white to constant 12v and black to ground, and now they are on ALL THE TIME. It doesn't say a switched source, but of course I need them off when the truck is off!!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Blown Mafia

Which instructions are you following? I followed a guide on another site. It is a PITA mod. What irritates me is that the retrofit source does not list or make any notation that any bulbs higher than 35w are too hot for certain projectors (FXR anyone?).....so the chrome peels/flakes off and output becomes dim. I am looking to build another set again
Old 05-25-2015, 02:02 PM

There are no REAL instructions, but I wired the halos by the small card they sent. It says to wire to a 12V source but then they stayed on all the time. SO I wired them to a switched 12v and now they only come on when the truck is switched on, but don't go out when I turn on the lights (yes I have them hooked to my low beam wire)
Not sure whether to leave them like that or not.
I could not have even STARTED to do this mod without all the help here on the forum.

Quick Reply: headlight housing