Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Headlight

Hey guys,
Drivers side headlight stays out even after changing the bulb, any thoughts? I don't know that much about the wiring harness, but does anyone know if each HL has its own fuse? Running late for work and not excited to drive home tonight for an hour Wallflowers style with One Headlight, is like to fix it tomorrow with your help! Thanks
Old 03-05-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I doubt each side has its own fuse but the owners manual would tell you. If you changed the bulb and still have nothing, use a multimeter and check for voltage at the plug when the lights are turned on. Is it both on Hi and Lo that you have no light on that side? There are 3 wires that go to the headlight plug, 1 for ground, 1 for low and 1 for high beams. Off the top of my head, I thing the center wire is the ground.
If you have no Hi or Lo beams, you probably have no power to that plug and gotta go chasing the wire for breaks, probably will end up being the ground wire at that point, you could probably splice in a ground wire to the plug and see if the lights come on but I would definitely look for the break after that if it works.
Or you got a bad bulb but that kind of luck really doesn't happen that often. I'm actually going to work on my lights later today and will see which wire colors are what and try to post here later tonight.
Good luck
Tom
Old 03-05-2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by vintageman
I doubt each side has its own fuse but the owners manual would tell you. If you changed the bulb and still have nothing, use a multimeter and check for voltage at the plug when the lights are turned on. Is it both on Hi and Lo that you have no light on that side? There are 3 wires that go to the headlight plug, 1 for ground, 1 for low and 1 for high beams. Off the top of my head, I thing the center wire is the ground.
If you have no Hi or Lo beams, you probably have no power to that plug and gotta go chasing the wire for breaks, probably will end up being the ground wire at that point, you could probably splice in a ground wire to the plug and see if the lights come on but I would definitely look for the break after that if it works.
Or you got a bad bulb but that kind of luck really doesn't happen that often. I'm actually going to work on my lights later today and will see which wire colors are what and try to post here later tonight.
Good luck
Tom
I stand corrected, MGD, just let me know that there are separate fuses for both sides. Fuse 23 and 25

Last edited by vintageman; 03-05-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Updated info
The following users liked this post:
Hanginten24 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
I stand corrected, MGD, just let me know that there are separate fuses for both sides. Fuse 23 and 25
Excellent news! Glad to hear it, I actually had the F150leds.com setup and it went out last night on my way home from work,both high and low, so I swapped back out for the stock bulbs that I kept and it still didn't work... So I'm glad to hear it might just be a fuse... By chance, since I'm at work, can you tell me if the manual says if it's a cartridge fuse or a blade fuse and maybe what amps? Thanks vintageman and MGD!👍👍🍻🍻
Old 03-05-2016, 02:48 PM

I think it is a 10 amp, should be the blade type that just plugs in.
The following users liked this post:
Hanginten24 (03-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Headlight