Head Removal Help 2005 5.4 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Head Removal Help 2005 5.4

Old 06-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Head Removal Help 2005 5.4

I've Broke 5 exhaust studs off in the head
I know this has been discussed but I can't find a clear answer or guide anywhere. Can the head be pulled in the truck and are there any special tools needed? What parts/gaskets needed and what brands are recommended?

I'm looking at pulling the passenger side and absolutely do not want to disconnect AC lines. Is this possible please explain how or why? I already have the inner fender out and exhaust manifold out. Have a trip planned in a week and need to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks guys.
toy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 06-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
ford dealer parts guy

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

If you rent a drilling template you can drill out the broken ones and not touch the head
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozeDaily View Post
There are a lot of armchair experts on every subject 'round here.
djfllmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #3

Get a right angle (90 degree) drill and some good drill bits, not sure how deep to go, mark the drill bit with some tape probably start at about 1/4 inch and hopefully with a good left handed drill bit, you can pull the broke stud out without any issues. I have to do this project sometimes in the future, not looking forward to the cramped up spaces. Good luck.

Tom
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #4

Drilling... thanks but no. I'm not saying it can't be done but I won't try it...

3 of them are behind the frame/spring assembly... There's not enough room for a drill even right angle you have about 4 inches to fit a bit and the drill. Oh and you can't really see to good so drilling it dead center and keeping it straight going to be very tough. And considering I have 4 to drill... I just rather pull the head and have a machine shop do it.

Anyone on head removal?

Last edited by toy4x4; 06-08-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #5

Well I tried both wire feed and stick welding could never get a good enough weld (really hard to access it on the truck behind the coil assembly) I ended up putting it back together with the 4 bolts and drove it to a shop and paid about $600.
Mechanic said they use a special rod Xtractalloy I think is what he said. Said it sticks better to the bolt and he was able to get the front 3 out. But had to drill the back one since it was broke bellow the surface... He also said he would have had to pull the motor if the front ones had not came out (not enough room for him to drill them)
I'm just glad it's fixed. In hind sight, I wish I would I just taken to him first cause I spent a lot of time on this for nothing and would have cost about the same since he had to R&R anyway.

It still be good to know about head removal in the future. I think for many of us at home mechanics we don't have the option of pulling the motor or cab off.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #6

lifting the engine would be easier then the head imo.
maxpat82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 AM