Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Having smog issues, P0171 and low RPM roughness...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having smog issues, P0171 and low RPM roughness...Help!

Hi,

New to the forum, so hopefully this is the right place to post. I have a new to me 04 with 115k and the 5.4 that is driving me batty. I need to get is smog'd, but am having issues with the truck. Issues include...

-Intermittent P0171 code
-OBD Fusion app and plug in scanner states..."Catalyst, Non Continuous" not complete" and, "Evap system, non-Continuous" not compete in the "test result" section.
-Smooth idle when warmed up, but rough 1000 to 2000 range
-When I floor it, the motor surges, similar to the ignition retarding in response to detonation.

I've done the cheap easy stuff hoping it would fix it, but so far no luck. This includes...

-Clean MAF
-Clean Throttle Body
-Checked for obvious vacuum leaks with carb cleaner...none found
-Visually inspected all hoses
-Fuel injector cleaner in fresh Gas, 91 Shell
-Change Fuel filter

I've Googled, watched Youtube and read the stickies...so far nothing obvious. There are no loud ticking sounds, and when the engine is ran less than 75% throttle it runs strong. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Knightly
Hi,

New to the forum, so hopefully this is the right place to post. I have a new to me 04 with 115k and the 5.4 that is driving me batty. I need to get is smog'd, but am having issues with the truck. Issues include...

-Intermittent P0171 code
-OBD Fusion app and plug in scanner states..."Catalyst, Non Continuous" not complete" and, "Evap system, non-Continuous" not compete in the "test result" section.
-Smooth idle when warmed up, but rough 1000 to 2000 range
-When I floor it, the motor surges, similar to the ignition retarding in response to detonation.

I've done the cheap easy stuff hoping it would fix it, but so far no luck. This includes...

-Clean MAF
-Clean Throttle Body
-Checked for obvious vacuum leaks with carb cleaner...none found
-Visually inspected all hoses
-Fuel injector cleaner in fresh Gas, 91 Shell
-Change Fuel filter

I've Googled, watched Youtube and read the stickies...so far nothing obvious. There are no loud ticking sounds, and when the engine is ran less than 75% throttle it runs strong. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Could be a leaking hose on the evap purge solenoid over by the brake booster.. If you touch the hose and get black rubber smudged all over your hands you should change it..
Otherwise I'd have a look at your 02 wires, it could likely be one of the rear 02 wires.. New front 02 sensors at your milage are are not a bad preventive maintenance objective either.

Keep checking for the obvious stuff first. If you have any exhaust leaks near those cats then that will trigger a lean code which you have now.. Fix any exhaust leaks before proceeding further..
Old 02-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

an 04 with 115k miles ... plugs ever changed ?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the COP's and the full throttle surging went away, but it still vibrates between 1000- 2000 RPM. Last night I replaced the spark plugs and it runs better but still vibrates in the 1000- 2000 range. Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Knightly
I changed the COP's and the full throttle surging went away, but it still vibrates between 1000- 2000 RPM. Last night I replaced the spark plugs and it runs better but still vibrates in the 1000- 2000 range. Any ideas?
We had a 06 f150 i worked on at work drove it 1000 miles/different drive cycles to try and get cats/heated 02/02 to pass for inspection... come to find out it was the FPDM.

Quick Reply: Having smog issues, P0171 and low RPM roughness...Help!