Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Having problems with my power windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Having problems with my power windows

I am having issues with my power windows, sometimes the windows will be stuck up or down as if they did not work. A lil while later they would be working again, could this just be my switch is bad? Also, my windows will absolutely not operate unless my driver door is in the shut position. What could be the problem with this? thanks.
LaBruzza 115
Old 10-31-2016, 11:31 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

one of 2 things.. either the master panel (Drivers door switch's) is bad..which is a very common problem on our year model's or you have a short in the wires going between the cab and door located in the rubber boot ..which is another common problem. Due to the fact that you mentioned that the windows don't work unless the door is shut.. I would suspect the wires between the door and cab.
The following users liked this post:
labruzza1999 (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
one of 2 things.. either the master panel (Drivers door switch's) is bad..which is a very common problem on our year model's or you have a short in the wires going between the cab and door located in the rubber boot ..which is another common problem. Due to the fact that you mentioned that the windows don't work unless the door is shut.. I would suspect the wires between the door and cab.

X2 on the wires between the door and the cab. Also a possibility is the ground wire for the main switch is a common ground for all the windows. If it is not getting a good ground it could cause intermittent problems.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:46 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

Default I second that

I agree with tech rep. I fought two bad controls in drivers door . I think that door gets used so much and is subject to bad weather too, from being open in rain etc.
The harness is flexed so much by the driver opening the door that at least one wire inside the insulation may have broken and may pinch back closed as the door closes .
I also had to change out the drivers window motor assembly at one time ,not that bad of a job .
The control is not very expensive and you get all the switches changed out .
Old 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now, i do want to add, the windows not working unless door is closed, has been a problem since i purchased the truck. And the windows not working period is a recently starting problem and is recurring
Old 10-31-2016, 01:14 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

wire finally broke in half after opening and closing the door more.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

The contacts inside the window switches just get carboned up because of poor contact.

Take the switch panel apart and clean the black carbon off of the contacts on both sides.

You can just order a new switch panel, they are not expensive, but once you clean them once it becomes very easy to do again. In general these switch panels rarely fail, they just stop making good contact which of course breaks the circuit.

The good part is this costs you nothing to check and clean and may solve the issue entirely.

Dont forget to clean the other side of the contact as well

Trending Topics

Old 11-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
The contacts inside the window switches just get carboned up because of poor contact.

Take the switch panel apart and clean the black carbon off of the contacts on both sides.

You can just order a new switch panel, they are not expensive, but once you clean them once it becomes very easy to do again. In general these switch panels rarely fail, they just stop making good contact which of course breaks the circuit.

The good part is this costs you nothing to check and clean and may solve the issue entirely.

Dont forget to clean the other side of the contact as well
You know what also works? MAF cleaner.