Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Has anyone used atf additives to reduce heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used atf additives to reduce heat?

I'm wondering if anyone has had any kind of success reducing trans temp with an additive? I just had my tranny flushed and when I picked it up the trans temp was higher than it had been. I'm getting the number from the edge tuner, I reached 222 yesterday in traffic. Before it would stay consistently under 195. I'm going to check the fluid level, but is it possible that the trans is running that much better that it's producing more heat? I can't imagine that's a good thing.
Are there any recommended additives that will definitely reduce heat? Or should I just quit looking at a trans temp gauge and quit worrying about it?
It's an 07 f150 5.4, with trans cooler.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

No, not a good thing. I am NOT a fan of flushing machines. I've never seen one cure any existing transmission issue, but have seen a few caused. I'm thinking either you have a plugged cooler or the cooler bypass is stuck open. Who did the flush? If it was a quicky/jiffy lube type shop, good luck. I've seen them F up a bunch of transmissions with their beloved flush machines. There is no liquid elixir thats going to solve the problem. I'd start with disconnecting the cooler and blowing it out, and if it has an external bypass, replace it.

Last edited by PerryB; 06-02-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No definitely not a jiffy lube. A very reputable shop that I have done business with for over 15 years. I trust them completely.
It only spiked once so far to 222 and has remained below 200 since then. I think I'll just keep an eye on it and if it happens again I'll clean the cooler out.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used atf additives to reduce heat?