Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

has anyone changed struts and shocks on a 2005 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Storis

Default has anyone changed struts and shocks on a 2005 4wd

I need to replace the struts and shocks on my truck. I haven't crawled under to look at it yet (cause the driveway is 120 degrees right now in Phoenix), but the Ford service manual says I need to remove the rear brake calipers. I don't understand why I should have to remove the rear calipers in order to replace the shocks.

Also is a spring compressor really required to do the front struts, the service manual calls for one, but I have had vehicles before that the manual said they needed one to remove the struts and I really didn't need it after all.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Rack-n-Spur Hunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't know about the rear but you will need a spring compressor to separate the strut from the spring
Old 08-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am assuming you need to do a front end alignment after changing front struts?!!
Old 08-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Storis

I don't know about a front end alignment, it didn't mention it in the service manual. It appears from the manual that the struts goes back in exactly the same postion as it came, if it does nothing will change to knock the alginment out.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:48 AM

never mind...i am thinking of front wheel drive vehicles with struts...most of them have to be realigned due to the assembly they are mounted to... this is good news ..... now ill wait and find me a good deal on some bilsteins and lettr rip...
Old 08-17-2008, 03:41 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

yes you need to take pressure off the top cap and unscrew it so you dont get killed by a spring, at least thats how its always been when i have done mcpherson style suspensions, i have yet to do mine tho, so you may not need a compressor, but i am almost sure you do
Old 08-17-2008, 03:49 AM

i used to sell aftermarket collision parts in cinci, oh....one day i went into one of my regular shops and wow there was a hole in the ceiling.... i mean you could see daylight nicely.... dude said one of the techs didnt use spring compressor properly spring came off, went thru roof... so yeah be careful and a spring compressor can be rented at autozone i believe or some of them arent much at any parts store.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:53 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

its like 12 bucks to rent it, and if you dont return it for your refund then you bought a 12 dollar tool you use often enough to have if your into modifying cars or whatever

and on the rear caliper, you may need to remove the bolt side from the bracket and the caliper may be in the way
Old 08-26-2008, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you will need a compresser. A little tip, break free the nut in the center on the top of the strut before removing strut/coil from vehicle...makes for a way easier job. and if you were ever thinking of a levelling kit, this would be the best time to do it...this is not something i personally would like to do twice. good luck

Quick Reply: has anyone changed struts and shocks on a 2005 4wd