Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Harley Davidson AWD or 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harley Davidson AWD or 4WD?

Hi all,

I've been looking at some 2004-2008 used F150 Harley Davidson pickups. Some of the listings say 4WD, some say AWD. Can anyone provide some insight into what years may have been available with AWD? Did the AWD option go away at some point? Did the AWD version have a center differential? If there was AWD, was it full time or part time? Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CobraRGuy
Old 04-14-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

These should help, the model year brochures:

Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 PM

GATORB8,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this does help a lot. From what I can tell the AWD option was available only on the 2006-2008 Harley Davidson with the exception of the 2008 Limited, is this correct? Does anyone know anything about the AWD and how it differs from the 4WD? I assume the AWD has a center differential which I believe can be locked to provide traditional 4WD. If anyone with the AWD option could provide more input that would be great.

Thanks,

CobraRGuy
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM

Not sure if this helps but I have 08 limited with the AWD option (standard on the limited) and yes you have 2 options AWD or locked 4wd like any other 150. The mileage is a little decreased about 1-2 MPG from what I've researched. I like it for the most part.......never any traction problems..starting out that is. Its a trade off.....but she'll scream off the line. i checked my 0-60 times and ran a 7.31 sec. with 3.73 LS.....not too shaby for that heavy of a truck. If you buy a HD edition......you won't be disappointed. but if you dig the pearl white.....go for the limited.....only 5000 produced!!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 PM

Beast30,

Thanks for the input. From what I can gather, the AWD is RWD with torque being directed to the front wheels only when rear wheel slippage is detected. Is this accurate? Apparently there is no center differential, correct? Have you noticed any lag between when the rear wheels slip and when the front wheels engage? Thanks again for your post, I really appreciate it.

CobraRGuy
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraRGuy
Beast30,

Thanks for the input. From what I can gather, the AWD is RWD with torque being directed to the front wheels only when rear wheel slippage is detected. Is this accurate? Apparently there is no center differential, correct? Have you noticed any lag between when the rear wheels slip and when the front wheels engage? Thanks again for your post, I really appreciate it.

CobraRGuy
The truck has a front diff and transfer case like a 4WD.It is torque sensing as soon as one of the rear tires starts to slip it locks in the front diff.I have tried on wet pavement to spin the tires on my 08 HD f150 and it just hooks and goes.In 4High it is like any other 4X4 and works great.I was in WV back in Oct. going up a rock and mud covered trail to an old hunting camp we used to have to show my wife and was climbing this trail with the stock street tread Pirrelis and worke flawlessly.I love the truck the mileage on interstate averaged 17-18 mpg at 75-80 mph..
Name:  fof10081.jpg
Views: 15251
Size:  76.0 KB
Old 01-12-2012, 04:31 AM

Default Ford F-150 Harley Davidson AWD Problem

Hello!
I am from Germany and we own in our business a Ford F150 Harley Davidson 2007. Our problem is that the AWD System won´t work, but the AWD light iluminates when the AWD Switch is in AWD position. Does Somebody has a repair wiring shedule of the AWD System, that shows where the 12V or anything else should be with an engaged AWD System. At the moment I have 4Volt at the center tranny.
Let me know if you can help me.

Thanks Marc
Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 AM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Some of the 08 limiteds came with RWD only............I have seen them on eBay.
I have an AWD 08 Limited. Mileage on the hi-way is around 17.5 and around town is closer to 14.7 on my truck.
The Transfer case is always engaged just like the rear but if the wheel sensors detect slippage of the rear wheels the front hubs lock in and make it four wheel drive until the slippage stops then they unlock but you are always drawing power from the drive train through the transfer case.

Last edited by diamonbird; 01-12-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: forgot to say
Old 01-12-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AWD is the one WITH a center diff.......not the other way around.........

AWD has a type of traction control that 4x4 doesn't. With a 4x4 the power is the same to ALL the tires......regardless of slipage. Not the same with an AWD system. Power will be added or taken away per tire. Some better versions of AWD are with Audi's Quattro system, and the best (imho) being the Mitsubishi Evo's AYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive

4WD versus AWD
The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with North America and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. Please improve this article and discuss the issue on the talk page. (December 2010)

Controls for locking center, front, and rear differentials independently. In the view of some, it is the ability to lock differentials that distinguishes 4WD from AWD.

The term four-wheel drive typically describes larger passenger vehicles that may allow the driver to manually switch (sometimes with an automatic option) between two-wheel drive mode (if available) for streets and four-wheel drive mode for low-traction conditions such as ice, mud, snow, or loose gravel.
All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without damaging the differentials, although the term may be abused when marketing a vehicle[2][self-published source?] as there are no specific definitions or guidelines (per the SAE for example) to differentiate these terms.[3] AWD can be used on dry pavement because it employs a center differential, which allows each axle to rotate at a different speed. This eliminates driveline binding, wheel hop, and other driveline issues associated with the use of 4WD on dry pavement. For vehicles with more than four wheels, AWD means all wheels drive the vehicle, to varying degrees of engagement, while 4WD means only four of the wheels drive the vehicle continuously. For example, an AWD vehicle with six wheels is often described as a 6×6, the M35 2½ ton cargo truck being one of the best-known examples (dual wheels on the rear axles are not counted as additional drive wheels).
Because all 4 tires in a full time AWD system are connected by a system of differentials, they are potentially very susceptible to torque reduction when a wheel loses traction. Without sophisticated traction control systems, they would become immobilized when any one of the four tires lost traction. A traditional part time 4WD system does not connect the front and rear via a differential, and therefore does not suffer any front/rear torque reduction—if a front tire loses traction, it does not reduce torque delivered to the rear tires, even without traction control systems.
Part-time 4WD systems are mechanically simpler and cheaper than AWD systems. Also, a part-time 4WD transfer case is usually equipped with a reduction gear setting that provides for higher torque at lower speeds, a vital feature for vehicles that will see much off-road use. In AWD systems a more expensive separate reduction gearbox is usually used. The main drawback of 4WD is that because it lacks a center differential, a part-time 4WD system can only be used in low traction situations where the wheels have the ability to slip as needed.
For these reasons, full-time AWD is appropriate for improving on-road handling and is seen on cars and car-based crossover SUVs, while traditional part-time 4WD systems without center differentials, or with locking center differentials, are better for heavy-duty use such as off-road or in deep snow and are commonly seen on trucks and truck-based SUVs.
Manufacturers often use these terms interchangeably, and the English word all is obviously equivalent to the word four when referring to a set of four wheels. In typical use, the terms are used as described above, but they are not fixed or legal definitions, and some manufacturers, such as Honda, often use the term "four wheel drive" when referring to systems that include center differentials. These terms are therefore not always very reliable for assessing the features and capabilities of a given drivetrain.
Identical drivetrain systems are commonly marketed under different names for upmarket and downmarket branding and, conversely, different drivetrain systems are commonly marketed under the same name for brand uniformity. Audi's quattro, Mercedes-Benz's 4Matic, BMW with the xDrive, Saab's XWD, and Volkswagen's 4motion, for example, can mean either an automatically engaging "on-demand" system with Borg-Warner ITM 3e magnetic or Haldex Traction hydraulic clutch, or a continuously-operating permanent 4WD system with a Torsen (torque-sensing) or other type of a differential.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My rear wheel(axles) are live limited slip rearend, they never stop driving(pulling or pushing) just like a rear wheel drive vehicle.....my vehicle also has a transfer case located in the same place as the 4x4 vehicles. My vehicle also has air operated locking hubs just like the 4x4 vehicles and only operate when asked to by the computer or the switch on the dash.
So maybe Ford F-150 Limited and HD's don't really have AWD but it's the way it's advertives and sold.
I had a hard time unstanding how my drive train worked but after checking underneath it I think I understand.
I drove it on the road in the snow last year and it drove like I was on dry hard black top, it never spun or slipped and I tried to get it to do it...it was pretty amazing. I drove it off road in the snow and it sucked in AWD but did the way it should have when in 4X4 mode.
I've jacked the front off the gound and you can turn the front wheels by hand...the rear you can't or at least not easily. Anyway what you've posted is true on the other guys vehicle but not so on my vehicle.

Last edited by diamonbird; 01-12-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: changed some wording

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson AWD or 4WD?