Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

hard start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hard start up

I have a 2006 F150 5.4 L. i just bought it a couple months ago. Everyonce and a while it would not start right away, it would take me 2 or 3 tries, then it would start up. however half the time it would start up just fine. i took it in and they replaced the fuel pump. got it back and it started up fine for me everytime, Except when i get gas. Whenever i fill up my tank and try to leave the gas station, i have the hardest time starting my truck up, i actually would have to hold the gas down to start it, then after it would finally start, i would have to rev it for about 15 seconds or else it would die on me, then it will run pretty ****ty for a minute. After that it runs fine and starts up fine. This only happens when i get gas. Anyone have any idea on what this could be? The dealer i took it back to cant seam to figure it out.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

purge valve?

maybe fuel pump driver module?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they tried replacing the purge valve and it did the same thing.
i didnt think about the fuel pump driver module. ill have to bring that up. ive been without my truck for 11 days because of this issue, they couldnt figure it out so they just sent it to ford yesterday. So im looking for any suggestions that could possibly help them so i can get my truck back! Thankyou!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm.....the purge valve, fuel pump a FPDM aren't the issue, that eliminates the obvious......perhaps a bad electrical connection on a sensor? That it only does it after fueling is odd......almost like it's got a vacuum somewhere not letting the fuel line get fuel to the rail. Got to be something around the fuel tank.....I assume they've checked the PSI on the fuel rail?

Sounds odd, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final answer here....
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Have you tried just replacing the gas cap... This is a long shot... They could also check all connections at the fuel tank to fill door, tank to pump, and even the fuel lines up to the fuel rail...
The FPDM is a good candidate for this issue, but after a fill up tells me that there is something physically wrong with the fuel system somewhere.... By its nature it does not seem to be an electrical...
But I would still not rule out a fuel pump relay "sticking" a fuse or a gauge cluster issue...

Last edited by Especial86; 01-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: hard start up