Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hard 1-2 shift

Old 08-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Hard 1-2 shift

I have a 06 XL with 186000KM and a 4R70E transmission (according to Etis). Recently I have started getting hard shifts from first to second gear. It doesn't happen all the time but more often than not it occurs when the engine is cold and/or I'm turning right. It doesn't seem to be slipping, just staying in 1st longer until it finally shifts hard. I have been slowly changing the ATF using the pan drop method and the problem has not gone away or become worse. Doing some research it seems the likely suspects are:

1. Sticking or damaged check ball-valve
2. Sticking 1-2 shift valve
3. 1-2 accumulator leaking or binding
4. Faulty shift solenoid

How should I check these? Are there any other things that might be causing this?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by technokami
I have a 06 XL with 186000KM and a 4R70E transmission (according to Etis). Recently I have started getting hard shifts from first to second gear. It doesn't happen all the time but more often than not it occurs when the engine is cold and/or I'm turning right. It doesn't seem to be slipping, just staying in 1st longer until it finally shifts hard. I have been slowly changing the ATF using the pan drop method and the problem has not gone away or become worse. Doing some research it seems the likely suspects are: 1. Sticking or damaged check ball-valve 2. Sticking 1-2 shift valve 3. 1-2 accumulator leaking or binding 4. Faulty shift solenoid How should I check these? Are there any other things that might be causing this?
Could be a TPS sensor issue on the throttle body. I'd go ahead and replace that first before I decided to tear into the tranny.. You can ohm out your old one to see if it is providing a smooth signal..
Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Am I looking for dead spots or just a smooth curve?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Smooth is want you want, any jumps or dead spots is an issue..
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM

OK, I took a multi-meter to it and the resistance of pin 1 and 4 are opposite of each other. When the throttle plate is wide open one measures a very low resistance and the other shows a high resistance. Now I'm using a cheap multi-meter with a low refresh rate but it seems to change smoothly. The stepper motor that actually moves the throttle plate seems to make an odd clicking sound when in anything but idle, could this be throwing the sensor off?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 PM

OK, I took a multi-meter to it and the resistance of pin 1 and 4 are opposite of each other. When the throttle plate is wide open one measures a very low resistance and the other shows a high resistance. Now I'm using a cheap multi-meter with a low refresh rate but it seems to change smoothly. The stepper motor that actually moves the throttle plate seems to make an odd clicking sound when in anything but idle, could this be throwing the sensor off?
(Sticking throttle body)
Its possible.. There is actually an additional TPS sensor on the motor of the throttle body. It is just a microchip that reads from a magnetic tone ring.. The 2 TPS sensors work together, but it's more Likely that the one bolted to the throttle body will fail.. Is the throttle body clicking when actuated manually? Or electronically?

This only happens on a cold motor, but does it go away on a hot motor?
The symptom showing up while turning may be a sign of low fluid.. When was the last time you changed the filter?
Was there any big particles on your magnet when you dropped the pan last?
You should always warm up your vehicle after a long rest prior to driving, even on a hot day...
Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 PM

The throttle body clicks when actuated electronically, but doesn't seem like its sticking. When its clicking if you touch the throttle plate you can actually feel it when it does it.

The hard shift happens intermittently whether the motor is cold or warm, it just happens more often when its cold.

The filter was changed less than 6000Km ago (a month, month and a half at the longest) when I added a drain plug ( thanks for the write-up btw.

The fluid shows as full on the trans dipstick when I checked after reading a post that mentioned that might be the cause.

As for the magnet it was covered completely in superfine particles, but given what I know from previously owned vehicles it has the expected amount for the mileage.

Last edited by technokami; 08-07-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-07-2014, 11:09 PM

Do you get any random stalling?
Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 PM

Nope. Aside from some slight alternater whine, and a mileage reduction that I attribute to the FX4 wheels it runs like new.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:30 AM

Nope. Aside from some slight alternater whine, and a mileage reduction that I attribute to the FX4 wheels it runs like new.
Alternator whine huh.. Have you checked what kind of voltage your getting out of the alternator?

I still don't think it's the transmission itself if its intermittent..
What fluid are you using for your flushes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard 1-2 shift