Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Hand Held Tuners... Anybody Use Them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Held Tuners... Anybody Use Them?

Was just wondering if anybody uses one and what kind of benefits, if any, it provided to your truck? I have a 5.4L and like any truck owner, would like more power and the other benefits that these things claim they can provide. Lemme know what you guys think.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Additcted to my truc

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Well the best tuners you can get are those that can be custom tuned. Power Hungry Performance's big seller is the Gryphon with has various parameters that you can use to monitor your truck. It is a re badged Edge that comes with the normal canned tunes but it can be custom tuned. I am actually placing an order for one hopefully this week. VMP Tuning and Troyer Performance's big sellers are the X cal 3 and Livewire which come with canned tunes and can be custom tuned as well. The Livewire has gauges while the X cal 3 has no gauges and is basically a hook-up, load tunes, and unplug type unit.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running the Hypertech MaxEnergy.. Works well (slightly more power, speedo calibration, increased shift firmness, etc) but I haven't ran a custom tuner for comparison. Once I know I'm finished with engine mods I may order a custom to better adjust for running at high altitudes.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:20 AM

I have an Edge programmer. I've been running it for about a year and a half. It allows you to adjust your shift firmness, redline, top speed, spark timing, along with other things like spedo calibration, differential gearing, and others. It can't be customized beyond what's already built in the unit but it really wakes up your truck. I recently removed it because the power gain is run on the 91 octane setting, and right now I'm unemployed and can't needlessly spend money on a lead foot and the best gas.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:39 PM

Can the Edge be used as a removable handheld or does it have to stay plugged in while in use?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

handhelds can be removed, edge/sct based products at least.

if you are looking for one pm me, i am selling mine
Old 11-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Additcted to my truc

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The edge can be unplugged from the OB II port. It is just nice to have the gauges.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by thump
Can the Edge be used as a removable handheld or does it have to stay plugged in while in use?
You can leave it plugged in to your OBDII port or you can remove it. It writes the program to your ECU. Certain vehicles have pods that they can be installed in for that "OEM" look. It will show you vehicle diagnostics and will allow you to test your own 1/4 mile and 0-60 run (however I do advise you run those tests in a controlled environment away from people and property that can be damaged/hurt/killed).
Old 11-15-2009, 04:45 PM

Thanks guys.. good to know. I had just assumed the Edge & Gryphon's had to stay plugged.

Quick Reply: Hand Held Tuners... Anybody Use Them?