Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Had it with Brake dust and now brakes are surging!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 AM
July 2008 TOTM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Had it with Brake dust and now brakes are surging!

I have read through numerous threads about brake dust and how Ford puts these crappy stock pads on. My black wheels turn 'brown', weekly. I thought I could deal with it until I need brake pads. I am not sure how to go about this new issue I have now..............

I am not a "hard braker" by no means. I baby my truck, well, except when a Dodge wants to race

Anyway, my truck just turned 11,000 miles this morning and for the past 4 weeks I have had a small surging in the brakes, coming from the front end. It is starting to get worse, as in I have a small vibration in the steering wheel now. (Now, I had this going on in my Iroc-Z at one time and I replaced the rotors with aftermarket, vented rotors and never had anymore problems).

Here is my question(s):
1. Do I take it back to the dealership only for them to tell me that "I am a girl, and drive it hard, and it is my fault, so it is not covered under warranty"

2. Or they tell me, "Heck ya, it is covered. We will fix it and put the same crappy rotors/brake pads back on it"... OR.....

3. I really REALLY want to just replace the rotors with high performance, vented ones and ceramic pads to cut down on the dust.

If I go with #3, will it void any sort of warranty, besides the obvious (rotors)?? And should I just go ahead and replace rotors/pads in the back too?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go make them do it for free. I only say that because I like free stuff haha. That being said, my truck just turned 60k miles and I'm just now replacing the pads. I got a full set (all four corners) of decent ceramic pads for $83 shipped... and a $30 rebate after that. My rotors look fine although the local tire shop swears I need to replace them so they can swindle me for $600.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

The rotors SHOULD be a warrantied item against warpage as long as when the mic them, they measure well within normal perameters. If you did indeed wear them out- wich is highly unlikely at 11k, then unfortuneatley, you are on your own. I would take it in to them and complain about the pulsation.

DO NOT say that you don't brake hard or anything like that because they will assume that you do in fact ride the brakes like a rented mule but are trying to cover your ****. If they ask, answer but don't offer that information up without them asking. Stick to the problem at hand.

I do know that these brake pads on our generation trucks are horrible about dust but I also know that the brake materials were borrowed from Volvo and they, too are horrible about dust (obviously). You can change out the pads for ceramic based ones, but in reality these brakes perform better than MOST of what you would replace them with. It is a catch 22, dust and great stopping power or no dust and a little compramised performance.

EDIT- I do not know how long Ford warranties those rotors, but I do know that they do. We replaced them all the time from when cars sat on the lot and rotted and warped from never being driven. I want to say that they are warrantied for 12 months or 12k miles. This is the "adjustment" period of the vehicle.

Last edited by Lenn; 03-19-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
3wV

11K is way too short to have a brake drag. You should not touch any vehicle under warranty*. You may have other problems like air bag wiring or some off the wall phantom code that they can't find are just some ABS kind of situations about; who did what to what on the bang of the telemetry [tone wheel] and all that can go wrong under warranty.

*Say you have bucks to buy a new truck and screw the warranty? I'd be on #3 in a heartbeat = Toss the bean counting junk off the chassis.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure they are gonna tell you its your driving habits. Besides the surging, unless your brakes are acting out of the ordinary, its gonna be hard to prove that you have got something wrong. Replacing the rotors should not void any warranty as it is an expendible item that will have to be replaced under the "general maintance". Meaning these parts are meant to wear down over time. To me it would be like asking them to replace a air filter on your truck under warranty because it got dirty earlier than expected or if your shocks need to be replaced sooner than normal. Unless you paid extra for some more inclusive warranty, the 3year/36k mile warranty is for drive train (engine, transmission, gears, etc.)

And i agree, i am not an aggressive driver either. I dont slam the brakes or ride them. My front rotors had to be turned way earlier than i though they should have lasted before turning. The factory rotors arent that great of quality, as mine needed to be turned way before i needed new brakes.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:48 PM
July 2008 TOTM

Originally Posted by f150cwcw
Im sure they are gonna tell you its your driving habits. Besides the surging, unless your brakes are acting out of the ordinary, its gonna be hard to prove that you have got something wrong. Replacing the rotors should not void any warranty as it is an expendible item that will have to be replaced under the "general maintance". Meaning these parts are meant to wear down over time. To me it would be like asking them to replace a air filter on your truck under warranty because it got dirty earlier than expected or if your shocks need to be replaced sooner than normal. Unless you paid extra for some more inclusive warranty, the 3year/36k mile warranty is for drive train (engine, transmission, gears, etc.)

And i agree, i am not an aggressive driver either. I dont slam the brakes or ride them. My front rotors had to be turned way earlier than i though they should have lasted before turning. The factory rotors arent that great of quality, as mine needed to be turned way before i needed new brakes.
When I purchased the truck, I put everything on it. Gap Insurance and a bumper to bumper, no deductible, 100K Ford Warranty on it. But you are right, if I replace the rotors, they cannot void squat!

So, I decided to just replace the rotors and pads after reading all the threads about these wonderful stock rotors. I am so sick of the brake dust too...... and I don't even want to deal with the stress of the dealership. I am super picky when it comes to "handing my truck over" to them. They know it too.

Anyway, I just ordered these, in black, (with the ceramic pads) for the front and rear. These have a lifetime warranty on them NOT to warp and are the same size as the factory rotors, so I don't have to worry about size issues... (I could say something here - totally off topic, but I won't!! hehehehe)

Old 03-19-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Wanger Thermoquiet's. Cheap, no brake dust, and good stoping power.

If the dealer replaces them your still going to have the brake dust issue.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM

how much did those rotors cost out the door? im in need of new pads and rotors.
Originally Posted by 07FX4Chick
When I purchased the truck, I put everything on it. Gap Insurance and a bumper to bumper, no deductible, 100K Ford Warranty on it. But you are right, if I replace the rotors, they cannot void squat!

So, I decided to just replace the rotors and pads after reading all the threads about these wonderful stock rotors. I am so sick of the brake dust too...... and I don't even want to deal with the stress of the dealership. I am super picky when it comes to "handing my truck over" to them. They know it too.

Anyway, I just ordered these, in black, (with the ceramic pads) for the front and rear. These have a lifetime warranty on them NOT to warp and are the same size as the factory rotors, so I don't have to worry about size issues... (I could say something here - totally off topic, but I won't!! hehehehe)

Old 03-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Body Shop Manager

Working at a dealer I can tell you with any problem with your truck bring it back to the dealer you purchased it from... (Especially if you purchased all the "extras") They will be willing to cut a few extra back flips to make you happy!
I would get that pulsation looked at, at least.... Brake dust you may have to deal with unless you want those ceramics and loose a little performance...
Old 03-19-2009, 05:55 PM
July 2008 TOTM

Originally Posted by grandy185
Working at a dealer I can tell you with any problem with your truck bring it back to the dealer you purchased it from... (Especially if you purchased all the "extras") They will be willing to cut a few extra back flips to make you happy!
I would get that pulsation looked at, at least.... Brake dust you may have to deal with unless you want those ceramics and loose a little performance...
I understand what you are saying..... but with my past experience with them.....then this.......

I called the service manager (where I bought my truck from) this morning. He knows me, knows who I am, remembers what I drive. I told him the situation and never told him anything like "I don't drive it hard"..... and I kid you not......he said, "Well, most women have different driving habits and one of those are wearing the brakes out prematurely". THAT pissed me off. I kept my cool and talked with him further only for him to tell me that he would just put the same rotors and crappy pads back on it.....IF it was considered under warranty, which it probably would not be and I would end up paying them $50 to "look" at it. So, why should I even give them my time? That is why I went ahead and ordered the new ones, with the ceramic pads. These new rotors have a lifetime guarantee on them not to warp. I am happy with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had it with Brake dust and now brakes are surging!