Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

H-Pipe or X-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default H-Pipe or X-Pipe

Good day fellas, I am fixing to rework the exhaust on my 2006 Lincoln Mark LT with the 5.4L. Currently it has the stock exhaust with a 40 series Flowmaster replacing the stock muffler. This has been the current configuration for over 8 years. While the sound is nice and desired I am going to go a little more radical with the new exhaust and fall back in love with driving this truck. I am going to run a set of true duals on it that both come out the passenger side behind the rear wheel with a nice set of stainless tips. I have decided to go with the Borla ATAK muffler after spending countless hours on YouTube listening to all the main player's product in the industry.

The first question is what size diameter is the stock pipe? I have wiggled my way under yet as the static 4/7 drop doesn't allow for easy access. I am wanting to run 3" on the new system. Secondly I am wanting to run either a H-Pipe or X-Pipe to ensure there is enough backpressure since these Borla ATAK mufflers are a straight through design of sorts. What is the recommendation for those running either design? What works best for these applications? H or X? Is going to 3" going to be an issue? Thanks in advance for allowing me the opportunity to tap into your community based knowledge bank.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:57 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Crossover is not fer 'backpressure' - it's fer scavenging.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/exh...ust-guide.html

MGD
Old 07-14-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by MGD

MGD

Agreed. But since we are going to a larger pipe, and a flow through design muffler, there is inherent backpressure that will be gained by either design. Any time there is a mixing of pressures from either side, there will be the slightest resistance when the 2 sides meet. Thus creating backpressure. Which type do you run? H or X? I have ran both on many applications over the years but not on this particular application.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by MGD

MGD
here's an informative article about the difference in the H-Pipe and X-Pipe for future reference since I am not sure you have ran one before. http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...pipe-vs-h-pipe
Old 07-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Sounds like you have the information you need. No headers ? The passenger side is going to fail at some point.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Sounds like you have the information you need. No headers ? The passenger side is going to fail at some point.

What is going to fail on the passenger's side?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:07 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruby_Ridge
here's an informative article about the difference in the H-Pipe and X-Pipe for future reference since I am not sure you have ran one before. http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...pipe-vs-h-pipe
Stock pipe is 2.5".

Yer right - I don't ever want to run one on my trucks as going bigger, with duals, kills low-end torque. I get all i need with stock-sized SI/SI configs. My GT runs an X - but it's factory and I just leave t it alone.

3" pipe is far too large - stay @ 2.5" fer top-end, or 2.25" to actually preserve all yer low-end grunt.

Yer not after 'backpressure', yer after increasing exhaust gas velocity - and anything that promotes that ( e.g. x-pipe, LT, hi-flow cats, mandrel bends, etc) aids in scavenging. Hence torque production.

With no long-tubes (and a tune to correct fer O2 transport delays), you'll not be netting anything substantive w.r.t perf. Just looks/sound.

MGD

Last edited by MGD; 07-14-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruby_Ridge
What is going to fail on the passenger's side?
Exhaust manifold.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I would definitely invest in long tube headers since you are going to straight pipes. As for the 3" pipe, I would not. The increased flow will reduce your low end tourque and will feel like a turd taking off. Stick with 2.5". As for H or X pipe, H pipe has been known to produce more low end tourque and X pipe increases top end at WOT.

If you are strictly going for sound stick with stock headers, 2.5" pipe and H pipe. Probably won't see too much power improvement. Maybe a little get up and go off the line and throttle response passing someone.

Also what are you going to do about the O2 sensors running true duals?

Just my 2cents.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by connorfx4
Exhaust manifold.
Exhaust manifold what? What am I missing here? I should install a new single exhaust manifold? lol, connorfx4 what are you talking about? Kinda like the other guy that said the passenger side will fail. Passenger side what will fail? Cup holder?

Quick Reply: H-Pipe or X-Pipe