Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

[GUIDE] Lockout Kit Tip Guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default [GUIDE] Lockout Kit Tip Guide

This was my facebook post in f150nation, f15dy boys, and 2004-2008 F150 11th gen groups.

Quote on quote

5.4 3V School is in Session for todays lesson. "Lockout + Timing Kits."

Sticky this post lol. Subscribe, anything you need to do. Will probably post it on f150forums if im not lazy.

Warmup Activity
====================
For all of those with the 5.4 3v and making the "Dieseling" or "Knocking" sound. This guide is for you on how to get rid of it, while being cheaper than buying the entire livernois kit then turning around and buying a tuner. If you arent knocking or dieseling, you need to figure out your path by just pulling the valve covers with the chain holder tool.

Please Note that this is different than a "Tick".
A tick is commonly mistaken for a Passenger side bad cast which means Manifold Leak or the Sound of the Injectors working. This is considered Normal. Hell it could even be a loose spark plug.

Here are example videos of my truck when it had the dieseling sound, as well as the knocking sound, these are the key 2 to look for

First time i was wondering what it was

Second video i made when i figured out what it was

Knocking Sound: There is a very distinct but notable knocking sound (we call this the chatter or clanking sound). This is indeed the cam phasers making the noise. Sounds like a old john deere After so long of being deprived of oil and being heated. The Cam phaser spring pin seems to snap off from the abuse. Then the chattering begins. Note that this is caused by a failed Tensioner seal 99% of the time.

Third Video, Code PO345

In the above video you hear how rough its running. That was because it was not firing but on half the engine. My exhaust was hot on one side and cold on the other with True duals. So i knew something was wrong. I jumped timing on first start with new parts because i incorrectly primed it, hey you live and you learn. If you have PO344, or PO345 You have probably Jumped time.

To test this follow the below steps to see if you have jumped time.
-Locate your cam Position sensors
-Ensure Vehicle is not running
-Unplug Passenger side
-Attempt to Crank Vehicle
-Ensure Vehicle is not running
-Now Replug Passenger Side
-Repeat the Opposite procedure, Unplug Driver Side
-Attempt to Crank Vehicle
(Note: If either one of these test with it being plugged in by itself, does not allow your vehicle to start running. You have jumped time and the computer has disabled fire to that side of engine)

Fourth video, After entire timing kit was redone

Fifth Video, 5k on the new parks, slight tick came back but hard to hear

Sixth Video, 15k on new parts, parts have broken in and make slight sounds but its good to go! I did NOT do the lockout kit.

If you need to replace your timing components,
my full parts guide with instructions is located here http://bit.ly/1SHd4a6
(Note: For possible cheaper parts, Just order what you need from the dealer)

If you plan on locking out Phasers and already are going to have to crack the timing cover open to do your timing, just order these parts below from your local ford dealer and you will probably be cheaper and better off.

These are the OEM Part numbers

Your Necessities:
-Timing Chain (You will need 2):
--Part# (5L3Z 6268-A)
-Primary Chain Tensioners:
--Part# (XL1Z 6L266-AA, 1L3Z 6L266-AA)
-Timing Chain Guides
(I recommend Finding metal ones from a 2v if possible or billet MMR's)
--Part# (F85Z 6K255-AA, 4L3Z 6M256-AA,
F85Z 6M274-AA, 2L1Z 6K297-AA)

Optional But Recommended Parts:
-Front Timing Cover Gaskets
--Part# (3L3Z 6020-EA, 3L3Z 6020-FA, 3L3Z 6020-DA
-Front Crankshaft Seal Part
--Part# (XW4Z 6700-AA MSRP $11.85)
-Lower One Piece Double Crankshaft Gear
--Part# (XL3Z 6306-AA)
-

====================
Enough reading right? Finally to the part you were looking for
====================

Lockouts Activity
====================
First off, 699 for this kit, is a little pricey indeed. I understand it comes with a tuner, but after that tune... thats pretty much it. Many people have used this kit, but for what its worth, you can save some money and do better.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP823113

So the Parts listed above, you may have noticed i left out the phasers and bolts, If you are going to just lock them out, why waste the money right?? The bolts come into play later in this post. If you just want them so you can be happy with yourself here is the part # for just the phasers.

Camshaft Phaser Sprockets (You will need 2)
--Part# (3R2Z 6A257-DA)

====================
Down to business
====================
What you will need to buy is either one of the 4 kits below from ebay.

If you plan on taking your timing cover off, get this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CNC-Bill...5VHZZ1&vxp=mtr

If you just want to pull valve covers and do the lockouts,
which is sketchy, get this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CNC-Bill...dVHZZy&vxp=mtr

If you purchased the bolts already while you were on the
phone with ford, Get this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Set-of-C...VTkJ~K&vxp=mtr

If you want to spend some money and take a dare on not getting custom tunes, but it says you will. Get this (not recommended by me)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ford-4-6...9WjnO5&vxp=mtr

What people are confused about,

What is CNC?
CNC is a computer guided machine that grind and carve different shapes into materials.

What is Billet?
Billet is Aircraft aluminum... that should tell you its strong enough.

While you have the parts ordered. Head over to Stage 3 Motorsports Tuner section
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/200...-Monitors.html

While you are there, choose either the SCT X4 with 5 Star tunes, or the Livewire, Whichever your heart desires.

Order the Tuner, Then when it all gets to your house,
Call mike at 5star, 843-536-1244 or go online and request your custom tune for the lockout kit you just have done.

So depending on which lockout kit from ebay you choose,
The SCT X4 total would be: $452.50 - $526.50
The SCT Livewire total would be : $652.50 - $726.50

So with that said you can either be cheaper than the livernois kit, or spend 700 dollars and wish you got a different tuner later on. Hope i helped make things clearer, Thanks for for reading. Any other input is welcome.

====================
Class is over, you may go home now
====================

Last edited by MHOWELL34; 03-12-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:18 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Great write up! My buddy who is a ASE mechanic changed his whole timing system out with all Motorcraft parts, only to have the noise return 15K later. He went with Livernois lock-outs and said the truck has never idled smoother or been quieter. He told me all I have to do is buy the lockouts and he can install them and tune it for me for for a case of beer. One thing I am not sure of, is he said the tune from the handheld tuner that came with his kit can be installed over and over on multiple vehicles. Do you know if this is true? I have emailed Livernois and not received back a response. I do know I can "stack" on top of the Livernois tune and still use my Gryphon. He said he noticed no loss of power at all.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribed

I have the X4 so could I just get a tune written to do the lockouts?
Old 03-12-2016, 10:22 AM
TOTM November 2019

Originally Posted by SSGT_B
Subscribed

I have the X4 so could I just get a tune written to do the lockouts?
99% sure thats a yes. PHP does not tune for lock-outs, so the Gryphon is out. One more reason I want a SCT Livewire, more tuning options. If I ever need timing work, lock outs and a SCT it is.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

im not sure with the livernois, if anything i believe all they do is throw a 2v computer program on it, to trick it to not use the other stuff. Not sure if you can tune over it or use it again and again.

But i'm with you summers, if they ever start doing it again, ill prolly lock them out, but then again i might just drive it till she blows up.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:35 PM
TOTM November 2019

The "stacking" can be done, it lists this on their website. What I need answered from them is how many times you can load a tune for the lockouts onto different pcm's.