Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gryphon Tuner Causing Hard Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gryphon Tuner Causing Hard Shifts

I am new to the forum so please excuse me if this has already been posted to this site.

I have a 2007 F150XLT CCab 4X4 5.4l. I recently purchased a Gryphon Tuner used from an individual who sold his F150. He did return his truck to stock and the tuner was not locked. I hooked everything up installed the transmission tune on my truck and noticed the transmission shifts faster but a lot harder. So i returned my engine to stock and brought the tuner to my computer and did firmware update. Went outside and tried it again. Same result. I did some research online and saw a post about adjusting your shift firmness to a negative value. I noticed after doing this it shifted much better however i was at -9 on all shift points. So i tried another tune level. The tow tun and did the samething with the shift firmness and got the same results, however while in the tow setting i turned O\D off and the transmission started shifting flawless. Also if i return the truck back to stock then will shift flawless. I did send a message to PHP for help but i wanted to see if anyone else had the same problems and any ideas to help fix it.

thanks,
Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Having your transmission shift "firmer" is a good thing! This is always part of a tune, be it a mild 87 octane tow tune, to the 93 octane performance tune.

Firmer shifts are a result of eliminating slip; most folks like a "caddy" luxury car shift, but this is actually the transmission allowing itself to slip somewhat to create these smooth shifts. This slippage causes wear on the transmission. Having it shift firmer will allow the transmission to last longer (not as much slipping/wear).

If the transmission had issues prior to the tune being installed, get it serviced first. At the very least, a complete fluid change (flush).

If the transmission was shifting fine prior to the tune, it will work fine (shift firm) with a tune.

While customizing, be sure to check that the rear gear is correct, as well as tire size, as each of these will also effect the firmness of the transmission tune settings. When I did my Edge tow tune install, the rear gear was set to 3:73 (default?), but my truck came from the factory with the 3:55 (tow package). Also, I installed 18 inch rims with a slightly larger tire.
You can easily identify the axle ratio by it's code tag (on the back differential), or by the code on the drivers door sticker. Then search here for the code break down.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 07-28-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the advise. This is what i was looking for. So the transmission didn't have any problems prior to the tune. When i went to customize the tune to adjust the shift firmness i saw the axle ratio option. Thankfully this was set to the correct option. One thing i haven't done is put in the tire information mainly because I'm running stock tires. I will put this option to eliminate that being the problem.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

I am converted to a Gryphon and run custom settings on level 2. I have my shift firmness set at 1-2, +8, 2-3, +8 and 3-4 is +10. Nothing hard about my shifts. I did recently drain my trans fluid and do a filter change.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:09 PM

I'll give those numbers a try. I dideemail php & they said my best bet is to get a custom tune. If this doesn't work then I'll try the custom route.

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2015, 07:56 AM

I gave those numbers a shot it seems to be doing better as long as I'm not WOT. My truck is more used a commuter and there isnt any engine mods or lifts or big tires.

I still think I might get a custom tune from PHP. I do tow a trailer ever weekend ranging from 3,000lbs & 4,000lbs. I might get a custom towing tune fore this that will make my motor down shift around 2000rmps acting more like engine braking. I'll probably replace the lvl3 93 performance tune with the tow tune above.

I'll let yawl know if anything new that shows ip.

thanks,

Quick Reply: Gryphon Tuner Causing Hard Shifts