Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Growling with Vibration Noise when Turning left

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Growling with Vibration Noise when Turning left

Hello Everyone,
I'm new on this forum so bear with me please. I spent time researching my issue on this forum but I can't seem to find an answer so here it goes..

My truck has a new 35" Mud Tires with 20x9" wheels. A couple of weeks after I installed these, my truck started to have a growling vibration and can be felt more in the middle of the truck (between the legs of the driver and passenger). This only happens when I turn left. Truck has new Brake Rotors and Pads, new UCAs, new Tie Rod Ends, and new Shocks but the issue is already felt even before I installed these. CV Boots and Lower Ball joints have no play and there is no bearing sound when wheels are free wheeled on jack stands. Sway bar link has play on both sides when you hold and twist them but I'm not sure this will cause that growling vibration sound.

Brake caliper is new on the passenger side also but one thing I noticed is that almost the same sound and a bit of vibration is felt when I hit the brakes before it goes to complete stop like the shuddering but I think this is due to the weight of 35" Mud tires (80lbs each).

When I deliberately turn left very slow than normal, it does not do this. It is more pronounced on normal left turn speed and when the road is slanted forward.

Appreciate it very much if you can point me to other possible items to check and what could be causing this.

Thank you...

- 91 Street and Race Tunes
S&B CAI
MBRP 3" Installer Series Exhaust
Bilstein 5100 Series Front 2" lift and Rear
Red Dirt Road Offroad Wheels - 20x9"
35" Lexani Mud Beast Tires

Last edited by Sicario0425; 06-27-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Growling noises when turning are symptoms of hub bearings going out. I noticed in all your parts listing, you didn't say new bearings. If all those front end parts were bad, they could've put excessive wear on your bearings. The bad bearing is the one making noise opposite you direction of turn. Ex - Growling when turning left is going to be the pass side bearing.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 AM

Nrivera04... Could it be a bad bearing even if there is no bearing noise when the wheel is free wheeled on jack stands? And no play if you grab the tires from 6 and 12 o-clock and 9 and 3 o-clock positions? I gave the tires a good amount of shaking but no play at all. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:29 PM

I just had to get my bearings replaced. Mine had no play in it, but I learned from the shop that 4wd trucks will have less play, or even no play at all, so I wouldn't rule out bad bearings. Good luck finding out
Old 06-28-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Sicario0425
Nrivera04... Could it be a bad bearing even if there is no bearing noise when the wheel is free wheeled on jack stands? And no play if you grab the tires from 6 and 12 o-clock and 9 and 3 o-clock positions? I gave the tires a good amount of shaking but no play at all. Thanks!
Yes. Your bearing isn't supporting any weight on a jack stand. When your making a left turn, physics is pushing down harder on the passenger side bearing. Which is why you hear the growning when turning. My vote would be to start there.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 AM

Thank you guys! I will continue to monitor in couple of weeks. I should be able to have time to replace it myself by then. I started to experience this a couple of months back and have not gotten worse amd sometimes it is not there.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 PM

Update: just to give an update on this one. Turned out not to be a bad bearing but a partially sticking caliper on one side. I cleaned the caliper guide pin seat (hole) and lubed with caliper grease when I changed the brakes but apparently there are stubborn old grease in there. I read from other forums that sometimes you have to really clean it well using a round brass brush inserted in a drill and give it a good dril brushing. Used syl-glyde to lube the caliper guide pins after that and problem solved. No more growling and vibrating noise when turning left after stepping in the brakes. Well, I have an extra hub bearing at hand just in case one will fail with these 35inch mud tires.

Last edited by Sicario0425; 07-16-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Growling with Vibration Noise when Turning left