Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Grinding Sound when Reversing in 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding Sound when Reversing in 4X4

Hey all, Last week I bought a 2004 F150 Fx4 with 167000 miles on it and it has been running perfectly on my trips across the state. We have about a foot of snow on the ground and about an inch or so on my driveway. Last night I tried to back into my driveway as I have for the past week and I was in 4X4 Hi. My truck wouldn't back up over the lip of my driveway and was spinning the tires, so I switched to low. When I gunned it to bring the front of the truck up onto the driveway, the truck made a high-pitched grinding screeching sound from either the engine or somewhere by either one of the wheels. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by nathandcasey
Hey all, Last week I bought a 2004 F150 Fx4 with 167000 miles on it and it has been running perfectly on my trips across the state. We have about a foot of snow on the ground and about an inch or so on my driveway. Last night I tried to back into my driveway as I have for the past week and I was in 4X4 Hi. My truck wouldn't back up over the lip of my driveway and was spinning the tires, so I switched to low. When I gunned it to bring the front of the truck up onto the driveway, the truck made a high-pitched grinding screeching sound from either the engine or somewhere by either one of the wheels. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks
It sounds like your transfer case is gone my friend. Or something in the 4 wheel drive system. Whats happening is the 2 wheel drive isn't switching into 4. I use to work in a gm dealership and a technician had a car in the air and he asked me to get in and get he vehicle up to speed at about 60 and he said do it in 4 wheel drive, well i switched it to 4 wheel drive and then it just grinded probably close to the sound you make and it was an easy fix it, just put it back on the ground and put it in 4 wheel drive like that. but you should try going 4ward in 4hi then back and see if it helps.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

More than likely, the truck did not shift into 4x4 low completely and backing up, took it out of it more...

Try putting it in 4x4L and drive forward about 50 feet, then try backing up again. I bet you will not have a problem.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll try switching to low and making sure it's engaged before I try to back it up.

Quick Reply: Grinding Sound when Reversing in 4X4