Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

grinding noise while accelerating

Old 06-12-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise while accelerating

2008 f150. 65k miles. Usually tow a cargo trailer. Will hear a grinding noise from the front end while towing around 15mph, 35 mph, and again at 65 mph (with o/d off). If i let foot off the gas the noise stops and doesn't make the noise when cruising either.
When not towing it will only make the noise at 55 mph.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...72/?styleid=14
Old 06-12-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Is your truck a 4X4?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:58 PM

XLT, v8, 4wd
Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

IWE maybe?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check vacuum lines for cracks
Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this same problem and it ended up just being as simple as the vacuum line that goes between the front wheels had come apart. free fix! do a run down with a vacuum hand pump.

Lift the front end of the truck up. START THE TRUCK. Stick you head behind the rear wheel and see if you can rotate the axle half shafts by hand. if its locked to the wheel then there is deffenlty a problem with you either your IWE, 4x4 vacuum actuator, or a leak in your vacuum lines.

Disconnect the vacuum lines from the 4x4 actuator while the motor is running. if you hear a sucking sound or can put your finger on the actuator then the actuator is fine. the 4x4 actuator is located on the firewall on the far right side of the truck in the engine cmpt.

The engine can be off for the next tests

Next step is to take the vacuum lines off the IWE (integrated wheel end) you can find this by fallowing the vacuum lines out to behind the wheels. they just pull right off. I believe its the large of the two that is the actual vacuum side. Hook up your hand tester there. Pull a vacuum and see if the wheel disengages from the axle. if it does that side is good. Repeat with the other side.

Next check all your vacuum line. Do this even if one of you IWE fails. as the IWE is probably dead because of a bad part some where else.

Check the line from the actuator to the IWE on the right side and then the line that runs from the T fitting just behind the wheel well to the left side of the truck. This is where i found my problem. there is a connection half way between them that came loose on mine.

Hope this helps.

Get it fixed ASAP. if you wait to long, it can destroy the IWE
Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseltwitch
I had this same problem and it ended up just being as simple as the vacuum line that goes between the front wheels had come apart. free fix! do a run down with a vacuum hand pump.

Lift the front end of the truck up. START THE TRUCK. Stick you head behind the rear wheel and see if you can rotate the axle half shafts by hand. if its locked to the wheel then there is deffenlty a problem with you either your IWE, 4x4 vacuum actuator, or a leak in your vacuum lines.

Disconnect the vacuum lines from the 4x4 actuator while the motor is running. if you hear a sucking sound or can put your finger on the actuator then the actuator is fine. the 4x4 actuator is located on the firewall on the far right side of the truck in the engine cmpt.

The engine can be off for the next tests

Next step is to take the vacuum lines off the IWE (integrated wheel end) you can find this by fallowing the vacuum lines out to behind the wheels. they just pull right off. I believe its the large of the two that is the actual vacuum side. Hook up your hand tester there. Pull a vacuum and see if the wheel disengages from the axle. if it does that side is good. Repeat with the other side.

Next check all your vacuum line. Do this even if one of you IWE fails. as the IWE is probably dead because of a bad part some where else.

Check the line from the actuator to the IWE on the right side and then the line that runs from the T fitting just behind the wheel well to the left side of the truck. This is where i found my problem. there is a connection half way between them that came loose on mine.

Hope this helps.

Get it fixed ASAP. if you wait to long, it can destroy the IWE
Or, you could follow the complete how to diagnostic I posted....
Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 AM

Thanks, I will try to do what I can this weekend and have an appointment scheduled Monday AM to get checked out.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Took to a shop today, and heard the noise while test driving it but could not duplicate it in the shop so he said he couldn't help me. Asked if he was able to look at the vacuum lines/ check valves etc related to the IWE, and replied that he did not know of any vacuum lines in f150 and he has an f150 himself. Recommended to make an appointment with a transmission place. I made an appt. with ford dealership to look at lines/valves specifically first for Wednesday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: grinding noise while accelerating