Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Grinding noise-front end

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise-front end

Hey guys, this is my very first post here on the forum, been looking at it for a while now(since I bought my new to me truck).

I just started to get this grinding noise coming from the front end(horrible metal to metal sound), First I thought I had picked up a rock?. Did some searches here, but still have a few questions.

The the 4hi does engage and the noise still continues even in 4hi, -does this rule out the IWE problem?

The noise almost disappears when turning right and I noticed that my rotors are zinging hot(is this normal) And does the fact that the noise disappears when in right turn point more toward a hub?

The noise started out only slight and intermittent now it is constant(in only a few short trips). I do not want to ruin anything.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:05 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

I would say jack it up on the right side and check the right side hub assembly...

Hands at 6\12 and give a wiggle, least to rule that out... If nothing check the other side but it sounds like a right side bearing to me...

Brakes get hot the more you use em the hotter they get, use em less they stay cool. Just coming to a few stops they can burn you... If you have a bad wheel bearing this can heat up your rotors, wheels etc. or a hung up caliper can heat things up too, enough to break down grease and make other components fail if not taken care of... gotta check this stuff out
Old 11-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks very much for the reply, was kind of leaning toward the bearing but never seen one go this fast.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar problem and it was my hubs In front and pep boys wanted something like 1200 bucks and I got em online and did it my self for 228 bucks and about 6 hours
Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently had the same noise come from the front while turning left and when turning right, it stopped. I brought my truck in for the oil change and told them I thought I had a bearing going out. Turns out that's what it was. They replaced the passenger side under my extended warranty. Cost me $100 instead of $550. Guess its a good thing I bought the warranty when I bought the (used) truck. My truck only has 34k mi and is 4 yrs old. I was going to replace with performance rotors and ceramic pads but I had a death in the family and an uexpected road trip to take and didn't want any problems.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 PM
A7X

Originally Posted by nrceptr
I recently had the same noise come from the front while turning left and when turning right, it stopped. I brought my truck in for the oil change and told them I thought I had a bearing going out. Turns out that's what it was. They replaced the passenger side under my extended warranty. Cost me $100 instead of $550. Guess its a good thing I bought the warranty when I bought the (used) truck. My truck only has 34k mi and is 4 yrs old. I was going to replace with performance rotors and ceramic pads but I had a death in the family and an uexpected road trip to take and didn't want any problems.
Sorry to hear about your loss...

But I'm glad you got your problem fixed with your warranty. Always nice to have the warranty to fall on if you use it... I bought an ext warrty on my '04 buy still did the work myself due to not trusting my dealer, but that's my fault haha..

To the OP, you can buy the hub assemblies for at the lowest I've found at around $110.00 and they're not horrible to replace...
Old 11-20-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by A7X
To the OP, you can buy the hub assemblies for at the lowest I've found at around $110.00 and they're not horrible to replace...

Where would the 110$ be? I figure here in Nova Scotia I am looking at about 220$???
Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM
A7X

Eeesh, ? Idk about gettin em up there, I've picked em up at a local parts store, parts plus was the brand. Sanel auto parts was the store...
Old 11-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Well...as an update it was the driver side hub, to a tune of 633$ for the part and 100$ labour it was an expensive trip. Hopefully I wont have to do that again for a while.

Thanks for all of your help,

Andrew.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:47 PM
A7X

Originally Posted by EFF150XLT
Well...as an update it was the driver side hub, to a tune of 633$ for the part and 100$ labour it was an expensive trip. Hopefully I wont have to do that again for a while.

Thanks for all of your help,

Andrew.
$633.00?? Wow, I coulda shipped you one from the states for less than that! But hey it's done!

Quick Reply: Grinding noise-front end