Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Grinding Noise Fixed and truck going up for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Grinding Noise Fixed and truck going up for sale

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS POST ABOUT GRINDING NOISE:

I took it in yesterday and it was the IWE solenoid's on both side. I told them what I thought it was so I didn't get a run around and also asked them to replace them with the new and improved ones with the water shield and they did that as well.

By this happening both of my Actuators where ruined. I was surprised to find I had a 5 year or 50,000 mile power train warranty on the truck that covered the actuators with only a $100 deductible.

It still cost me $400 in all for a problem that had nothing to do with me or "normal wear and tear" on a 3 year old truck with 39K miles, but it could have been a lot worse if the power train warranty wasn't in effect.

In all I think Ford needs to make this a recall as well as the spark plug issue. It took people losing their homes in a fire to make the cruise control a recall. These are problems effecting WAY more than 1% of all trucks on the road and that is the basis for a recall.

Truck is going to be put up for sale for sale this weekend and my 5th Ford will be my last as they just keep getting worse. I would buy my 1994 5.0 XLT back at this point.

I have bled FORD blue since I was a little boy with my matchbox cars and I know there are MANY others like me out there. I truly believe this is why FORD is allowed to get away with the things they do. So many of us will put up with everything because we are "Ford Guys..or Girls".

That being said I think everybody has a breaking point and I have reached mine. I know every company will have it's problems. My Wife has a Honda Civic that is 4 years old and it has had 4 recalls already but they did the recall! They didn't just let it go knowing it was a factory defect. Ford has steadily dropped in quality since my 1994 bulletproof 5.0 XLT. They can't even compete in horsepower anymore, not even with the Mustang. The V6 Camaro over powers the GT, what is that?

I don't want to sound like I am jumping sides, I don't even know where I will go from here but I do see more and more "True Ford" people leaving the blue army with these constant "oversights" from the factory costing people hundreds and thousands of dollars.

I don't mean to offend anybody with this, but I do like educated opinions and I know their are a lot of members here who are leaning...

Thank You,
Adam
Old 09-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Well,,,Fords quality has actually been improving and has surpassed several of the foreign import companies and Chevy a while ago.

I am sorry for your trouble's and hope nothin but the best for ya..good luck man
Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Censored by the Man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its weird how some guys just have a ton of problems and others have none. The only think that has failed since i bought the truck (1 1/2 years-20k Miles) is a coil pack went bad and a rear axle seal.

Sorry for your troubls man, good luck!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there is only 1 iwe solenoid, you are referring to the hub actuators. with every IFS 4x4 sysytem there is always something junk on them, the actuators use cheap rubber and is prone to cracking, hence letting the vacuum leak. the older chevy trucks had a vacuum system too and when they went out, you were screwed in 2wd, at least the f150 locks the truck in 4x4 if the vacuum is completely lost. with any truck you will have some goods and bads i guess, i am not sure if this is a location problem or what, of all the guys who run 04-08's that i know of, only 1 had a bad actuator. no one can blame you i guess, but all the newer trucks are designed in the same way.

i do agree that ford stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper, i know some of the new 09's interior peices are crap, take them off once, and they fit for crap again and leave stress marks when popping them
Old 09-09-2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ATOM
there is only 1 iwe solenoid, you are referring to the hub actuators. with every IFS 4x4 sysytem there is always something junk on them, the actuators use cheap rubber and is prone to cracking, hence letting the vacuum leak. the older chevy trucks had a vacuum system too and when they went out, you were screwed in 2wd, at least the f150 locks the truck in 4x4 if the vacuum is completely lost. with any truck you will have some goods and bads i guess, i am not sure if this is a location problem or what, of all the guys who run 04-08's that i know of, only 1 had a bad actuator. no one can blame you i guess, but all the newer trucks are designed in the same way.

i do agree that ford stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper, i know some of the new 09's interior peices are crap, take them off once, and they fit for crap again and leave stress marks when popping them
They showed me 2 IWE solenoids on the left and right. Even my friend who works in the service department says he gets a couple a week in there with the same problem and I am in South Florida where less then 5% of the trucks are 4WD.

I agree that all trucks or cars for that matter will have problems. My problem is that when the company sees a constant problem they don't issue a recall and save their loyal customers some of the money they will just end up putting into it in the long run.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Hey man... I feel your pain.

I will however, have to redirect your anger about recalls. Recalls can only be issued when a component failure poses a detriment to vehicle / passenger safety. The NTSB will not allow a manufacturer to issue a recall just because it reaslizes there is a subpar component on the vehicle. If that were allowed, there would be more vehicles in the shop getting work done than there would be on the road.

I can tell you that in todays world, there is no such thing as a "reliable" car. They are all so computer controlled and electronically monitored that they have more techno features than the original space shuttle Discovery (fact- google it). In order for you to be totally satisfyied, it seems you will need to purchase your 1994 back.

I can tell you as a previous Honda owner, I will never own another one. Transmission (x2), EVAP lines and canister, and 6 trips to the dealer for CEL's pushed me over the edge.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do, but with these minor problems in THIS vehicle, I truly do not see you getting a vehicle that will truly leave you happy in the newer market.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lenn
Hey man... I feel your pain.

I will however, have to redirect your anger about recalls. Recalls can only be issued when a component failure poses a detriment to vehicle / passenger safety. The NTSB will not allow a manufacturer to issue a recall just because it reaslizes there is a subpar component on the vehicle. If that were allowed, there would be more vehicles in the shop getting work done than there would be on the road.

I can tell you that in todays world, there is no such thing as a "reliable" car. They are all so computer controlled and electronically monitored that they have more techno features than the original space shuttle Discovery (fact- google it). In order for you to be totally satisfyied, it seems you will need to purchase your 1994 back.

I can tell you as a previous Honda owner, I will never own another one. Transmission (x2), EVAP lines and canister, and 6 trips to the dealer for CEL's pushed me over the edge.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do, but with these minor problems in THIS vehicle, I truly do not see you getting a vehicle that will truly leave you happy in the newer market.
I agree with a lot of what you said however I don't believe for a second that their are no reliable cars made today. I am not trying to get into a Japan vs. America battle at all but I know multiple people who run Tundra's over 100K with nothing but brakes, tires, and fluids.

I don't think these are minor problems, if my truck had 50,001 miles this would have been a $2,000 fix. and If I wanted to change my own spark plugs or didn't know the whole story and just took it to the local guy i could have been looking at a $3,000+ bill because there were plugs stuck in my block. This is above and beyond the normal wear and tear but this truck has been in the shop for repair 5 times in 4 months and it was a "certified" pre owned with 32K miles.

I agree that the more crap you have, the more crap will break but I think there is a happy medium. My next truck will not be a 4WD as I have never used it. I saw it as worth it for a couple grand more in the purchase price but it adds a ton of problems to the truck.

Their are a lot of vehicles sold today that will hit 100K+ without anything besides Tires, Breaks, Fluids. That to me is a reliable vehicle. after 100K miles if I have to put a few hundred in here and there I understand but not at 32K-39K, that is just sad.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Again, I wish you luck but as someone who (before the military) worked in the auto industry (service rep for Dodge and Volvo), I can reletively accurately attest that unless you are purchasing a car that is under $20k new, the likelyhood that that vehicle will end up in the shop for unscheduled repairs is high. The auto industry is no more Honda is a Honda, Toyota is a Toyota, and Ford is a Ford. It's just not so. There are so many cross breeds when you take away the manufacturer badges that it would make you sick. When you see a $50k Volvo S80 T6 with electronics almost ENTIRELY engineered by BOSCH but owned and developed by Ford, but has a GM transmission that was sent to Delco for sensor swaps and tuning and the engine block was developed and refined by Porsche AF, you start to pay more attention to what is what when you get into the nuts and bolts of a vehcle, manufacturer aside.

This really is a mute subject since I am not trying to sway you one way or another, but I would like you to know what you are looking at, and to be able to see thru the anger/frustration that you have toward this vehicle.

BTW- I didn't litterally mean there is no such thing as a reliable vehicle. I did mean that there are so many manufacturers (ie: Honda) that are solely selling vehicles based off of a historic premise that there cars are bulletproof. Not so much anymore. They are just as problematic as just about every other car on the road. I think that Toyota is the same way. The Tundra (to me) is a joke, at least the new ones anyway. Designed by an ex-GM engineer to have the biggest/best part of everything... Problem occured when they failed to take into consideration that the biggest and best of everything does not mean that they will perform the best. Hence why Ford can be down over 100hp but still pull more and be more fuel efficient.

Last edited by Lenn; 09-09-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lenn
Again, I wish you luck but as someone who (before the military) worked in the auto industry (service rep for Dodge and Volvo), I can reletively accurately attest that unless you are purchasing a car that is under $20k new, the likelyhood that that vehicle will end up in the shop for unscheduled repairs is high. The auto industry is no more Honda is a Honda, Toyota is a Toyota, and Ford is a Ford. It's just not so. There are so many cross breeds when you take away the manufacturer badges that it would make you sick. When you see a $50k Volvo S80 T6 with electronics almost ENTIRELY engineered by BOSCH but owned and developed by Ford, but has a GM transmission that was sent to Delco for sensor swaps and tuning and the engine block was developed and refined by Porsche AF, you start to pay more attention to what is what when you get into the nuts and bolts of a vehcle, manufacturer aside.

This really is a mute subject since I am not trying to sway you one way or another, but I would like you to know what you are looking at, and to be able to see thru the anger/frustration that you have toward this vehicle.
I appreciate your knowledge. I worked in car sales for a while and noticed a lot of what you are saying with parts coming in from all over the place. I am really not into the "fancy" stuff but I guess what you are saying is unless I get a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or Mazda3 I am in for some repairs well before they should be needed?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by adamrcannon
I appreciate your knowledge. I worked in car sales for a while and noticed a lot of what you are saying with parts coming in from all over the place. I am really not into the "fancy" stuff but I guess what you are saying is unless I get a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or Mazda3 I am in for some repairs well before they should be needed?
That is exactly what I was saying.

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise Fixed and truck going up for sale