Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

grind/hiss noise, then clunk and battery light

Old 11-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default grind/hiss noise, then clunk and battery light

Was driving down main street, in 2wd - not turning - and had a bit of a grind/hiss noise, and hten a clunk, (loudish - thought maybe the belt had fallen off) and the battery light came on. Pulled the truck to the side, popped the hood, and all looked fine. The light had gone off by this point.

Went to see if it was just my imagination, and a bit of snow falling off the tires, and the same thing happened again - hasn't happened since, after driving a few blocks.

The battery light is the odd thing - new alternator put in just recently.

Drove it to Ford - they said maybe a 4x4 vacuum line is loose, from the snow - is that possibly the issue? I haven't driven in deep snow, though...

Maybe the truck stored a code? (there's no checke engine light on - is there still possibly a code from the momentary battery light?)
Old 12-03-2013, 03:25 PM

guess I'll have to try the dealership - sucks!

Thought maybe it was related to the loud noise I get when first starting the truck when it's below -10, but I have no idea!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue.

Originally Posted by maxwell_smart007
Was driving down main street, in 2wd - not turning - and had a bit of a grind/hiss noise, and hten a clunk, (loudish - thought maybe the belt had fallen off) and the battery light came on. Pulled the truck to the side, popped the hood, and all looked fine. The light had gone off by this point.

Went to see if it was just my imagination, and a bit of snow falling off the tires, and the same thing happened again - hasn't happened since, after driving a few blocks.

The battery light is the odd thing - new alternator put in just recently.

Drove it to Ford - they said maybe a 4x4 vacuum line is loose, from the snow - is that possibly the issue? I haven't driven in deep snow, though...

Maybe the truck stored a code? (there's no checke engine light on - is there still possibly a code from the momentary battery light?)

MaxwellSmart, I am having the same issue. It is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen with a vehicle. My truck was just in for it's final service under my extended Ford warranty. They replaced the alternator and some electrical components in the steering column. However, after reading your I'm guessing it has something to do with the alternator. I have a video that I recorded the last time it happened. The audio isn't great, and it's at night, but you will get the idea. I will post it soon. The same thing happens as you. It starts out of nowhere, the grinding-ish noise, and then the battery lights come on. It even seemed like there was a power surge and my lights temporarily got brighter. When I slowed to a stop the noise stopped, but then I sped back up and it started again. After a few more seconds it stopped again.

This has now happened like 4 times since I got the truck back. The dealership acts clueless and (obviously) it never happens when I take it in. It is totally random. 2 of the other times that it happened, random things caused it to stop. One time it started and I happened to push the passenger window down button and it stopped. Another time, it started and I turned the heat from floor to vent and it stopped. Any resolution that you got/advice that you got from Ford would be greatly helpful.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any resolution on this? This has happened twice to me since changing the alternator. I got a reman Bosch.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:52 AM

No - it's still an intermittent problem for me.

I wonder if it's a bearing getting stuck, and then spinning again...it's not predictable enough to trouble-shoot, though....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: grind/hiss noise, then clunk and battery light