Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

GPS Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Radio Installation

I know that this has probably been answered somewhere else but after much searching I could not find anything.

I have bought off ebay a OEM GPS radio (p/n 7L3T-18K931-BC) which i was told was from a 2006 F150 Lariat. I wanted to fit this to my 2005 Lariat and thought that it would be a straight swap for the current audiophile unit (after reading many article about this on the internet). I had read that other people had been able to upgrade to these with minimal issues if any.

Well I removed the existing and plugged the new one in with the three cables on the back and I cannot get it to power on. Initially the Ford logo will display and it will cycle through the CD's to check whether there are any loaded. I can select the load button and load CD's into the various slots but I can do nothing else.

Am I missing something, does it need to be re-programmed for my truck before it will do anything, have I got a radio that will not work??

I called my local Ford dealer who was less than helpful when I spoke to then earlier today.

Any information that would help me get this working would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you had luck with this? I was thinking bout doin this but wondered if it would work right or not
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Yes I actually got it working, I checked all of the plugs and found that one of the pins in the plugs on the wiring harness had been pushed out and was not making contact. Once I fixed this everything works, good luck with yours if you choose to go this route. i know other put aftermarket units in but I wanted the stock look.
The following users liked this post:
Slimchance87 (08-10-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM NAV Unit

Originally Posted by 05black66
I know that this has probably been answered somewhere else but after much searching I could not find anything.

I have bought off ebay a OEM GPS radio (p/n 7L3T-18K931-BC) which i was told was from a 2006 F150 Lariat. I wanted to fit this to my 2005 Lariat and thought that it would be a straight swap for the current audiophile unit (after reading many article about this on the internet). I had read that other people had been able to upgrade to these with minimal issues if any.

Well I removed the existing and plugged the new one in with the three cables on the back and I cannot get it to power on. Initially the Ford logo will display and it will cycle through the CD's to check whether there are any loaded. I can select the load button and load CD's into the various slots but I can do nothing else.

Am I missing something, does it need to be re-programmed for my truck before it will do anything, have I got a radio that will not work??

I called my local Ford dealer who was less than helpful when I spoke to then earlier today.

Any information that would help me get this working would be appreciated.

Thanks
Glad you got the head unit working. I did the same swap in my 07 FX4 SCREW. All I had to do was add a GPS antenna and everything worked fine. Do you have any trouble with your nav unit being slow? Mine scrolls slow. Sometimes its off by 3/4 miles. It's really noticable when you make a turn to another road.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Default antenna location

I wonder whether it has something to do with the location of your antenna. I mounted mine under the 'tray' in the dash so that there would be nothing to obscure the signal. I made a bracket that attached to the metal brackets so that the gps antenna was sitting directly below the plastic tray.

Quick Reply: GPS Radio Installation