Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gotts mudd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gotts mudd?

I did the mod to my truck sunday - took a total of about 45 minutes - very happy with the performance difference. Two things on my mind;
1. I didnt get the pipe the full 2" into the fender as the instructions dictate - is this a problem?
2. I go off road a lot - mud, sand, water, other materials that could be potentially lethal if ingested by my engine. It seems like a fat vacuum hose leading to my intake. I realize that this is basically what the old part did, but it seems much more vulnerable now. Is there any way I could protect it better (a screen or something like that), or would that just reduce the air intake back to the level before the modification? Any opinions, experience, or anything of that nature would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 PM
NashBulldawg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2... i bought the materials to do this today and im curious about the negatives? What kinda power gains did you see from your mod?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I see a problwm getting efficient air if its not the full 2" deep. I think the air hitting the inside of the fender hole will cause some type of air flow dysfunction. But maybe not since the engine is sucking the air through so rapidly. Personally I would do it again and do it right. Dont let a $10 piece of PVC be the end of your trucks engine. I did mine and it took about 3 hours but I did it right. Just do it and take care of the ford. Just my .2cents take it or leave it!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you are at any more significant of a risk with the Gotts intake vs the OEM piece. You still have the filter in place so unless you bury the front end entirely (and then sucking in water through the intake is the least of your worries) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I can't say for certain but the only thing I can see with the pipe not being the entire way into the fender is that it could some how pop out. However, I think that is unlikely.

Don't expect super big gains in power with this. You probably won't notice much to be honest. However it does help. Any restrictions you can take out the more likely things are to run a little "better" (better being subjective and covering several different aspects).
Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I still have the remaining piece of pipe and was considering doing it again anyway, so thanks for the confirmation. The pipe fits very snugly in the hole and is butted up against the filter housing which is back in its original mounts, so I left it in without worrying about it popping out.
It may be psychological, but I feel a pretty significant increase in throttle response since it went in. I can spin the tires just stepping on the gas, which I couldnt before the mod - with the 35"s that is. Also - I'll know for sure when I fill up my tank again, but it seems like I'm getting a few more mpgs out of it too.
In any case, I appreciate the help and input.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 30 Likes on 5 Posts

Throttle response is improved for sure. But I don't think you are making significantly more power... maybe 1 or 2 hp and that is highly doubtful.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:43 AM
vdubber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had this mod on my truck for about 3 weeks now. I personally did not notice anything, no sound, no improved throttle response, no mpg increase nothing. It was nice to just tinker with the truck, i think that's the enjoyment i got out of it. would i do it again... why not costs 3 dollars to do and an hour of your time.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Man, I've had this mod on my truck for about a year now. It's nowhere near a turbo, a supercharger, or even a programmer, but it has saved me enough $ to plan my spring break. went from 12/city 15/hwy to about 13.5/city 21/hwy. Who knows, maybe it will buy me a programmer.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I thought the reason you needed to go in the full 2" was that there is a second hole you need to but up to to pull air from the correct location.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by GATORB8
I thought the reason you needed to go in the full 2" was that there is a second hole you need to but up to to pull air from the correct location.
That sounds right... there is a second hole, I know that... you can feel it if you can fit a few fingers in there. I just measured the length of my OEM piece that went into the fender and marked my pvc at the same length.

Quick Reply: Gotts mudd?