Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

got ping

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Default got ping

The past couple of months I've been getting pinging it's very slight but annoying seems to be under load I've ran some stp gas treatment through and although it corrected for that tank it has come back I can't figure out if this is because of the winter grade gas or an underlying problem worth dropping off to the dealer is anyone else having this problem
Old 02-08-2008, 07:12 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you running regular fuel or premimum? I don't live in the north what is added to the fuel in the winter?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NGM 10% ethanol. As asked what oct. fuel do you run and what brand?
Old 02-09-2008, 03:14 PM

Yes I run reg 87% never had problem before and tried all different gas stations
I had a problem with my quad and I run super in that also add stable to the fuel and they blamed on the new fuel mixer something about the ethanol attracts water but they said it shouldn't effect any motor with fuel injectors it's only been doing it the last month or two
Old 02-09-2008, 04:45 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Here's some reading material explaining the differences, a simple web search will yield oodles more material, including the effects of ethanol - all bound to give one a headache, the stuff gets pretty deep. I was a little off in previous posts/threads about winter gas having lower octane.
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2374
http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2006/9/13/234043/431
http://adlersantiqueautos.com/articles/ws/blends.html

squirrelyyy - tried any combustion chamber cleaner? Although it does seem kind of soon to be having buildup problems, given the age of your truck. Any computer fault codes? Wondering if the engine isn't running a bit lean - MAF problem?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 AM

lucas products makes a very good injector cleaner as well. Couldnt keep it in stock at parts store when i was manager. But just a thought, is there any reason that timing could have changed?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 AM

The only thing I've done is run stp gas treatment through it (the quad dealer told me to run this in my quad)it says on the label to improve the quality of gas and that seemed to work no ping then I had to fill up and it was back.I just don't feel a truck with only 6800 mile on it should be pinging hopefully this could be fixed with some kind of adjustment If not I would have to keep adding additives to the fuel every time I fill up,gas is expensive enough
Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 AM
A-hole's Wife

Originally Posted by iluvmyford
lucas products makes a very good injector cleaner as well. Couldnt keep it in stock at parts store when i was manager. But just a thought, is there any reason that timing could have changed?

He is right Lucas makes really great products. You may also check into Seafoam. It has been around forever and is awsome. All of my customers love it and I can't keep it on the shelves. If I can help you wiht anything let me know.

Katt
Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Katt
He is right Lucas makes really great products. You may also check into Seafoam. It has been around forever and is awsome. All of my customers love it and I can't keep it on the shelves. If I can help you wiht anything let me know.

Katt
seafoam...yes i forgot that one.... that stuff is really good too. i had a mazda truck i bought with 150K miles on it.. the oil gauge slowly started going down... i didnt want to or hope to have to replace oil pump and i figured with the miles on it that it may just be sludge.. i took a can of seafoam and put inthe oil.. ran it for one day...(to and fromwork is all) and changed oil and filter...tada... oil pressure was up where it was suppoed to be and stayed there
Old 02-10-2008, 05:43 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

BG makes one of the best if not the best induction cleaner. Check local shops in your area one of them should sell BG products. If not let me know I will sell ya an induction service kit.

Quick Reply: got ping